2005 A3 Clocks Replacement

Dotsy

Hi, 

Have owned a 2005 A3 1.6 petrol from new with no trouble at all until revently when ECU light came on and car started operating in 'safe' mode. Mechanic said this was an accelerator related issue, which we replaced. Worked okay for a few months. Light then came on again, I stupidly ignored that and it  then entered safe mode once again and then when I tried to retart smoke started appearing as if I was burning out out the starter motor. 

Mechanic decided that the ECU or the 'Clocks' were at fault and was stopping the car 'talking' to the immobiliser. Said I should send the ECU to UK outfit for diagnosis. They have reverted and determined that ECU is fine. Mechanic's view is this means the 'Clocks' shoud be replaced but will cost c Eur 1,000 plus labour here in Dublin and so car should just be scrapped. 

Car has c200 km on it. It's a 2005 Ambition. Best stereo I've ever had !  Is he right ? Should I scrap it or can clocks be replced for less ?

Edited by Dotsy

David.

If by "clocks" your mechanic means the instrument panel, it's a known failing in A3s. They can be easily repaired for about £250. There are several companies in England that can do it so I daresay there might be a few in Eire. You or a mechanic would need to remove the panel and post it to the repair companany, who will then fix it and post it back. Search through this forum's history and you will find some reports of owners who have had theirs successfully repaired.