Humming/droning noise

MCCLOY96

Hi folks

looking for some advice. I have a late 2019 a4 avant sline. The last couple of weeks I have had a humming noise when turning out of the drive or junctions. The noise is worst above 60mph but seems to settle on newer smoother road surfaces. 

my first though was wheel bearing but since the car is relatively new and at only 50k it would be a surprise but I suppose not impossible. 

One thing I am considering is that the dealer I bought off had put a set of 20” alloys on with 245/35/20 tyres. The tyre sidewall slopes inward slightly as if stretched a small amount I have yet to remove a wheel to see the width of the alloy they are budget tyres also However do you think it is possible that the tyre being slightly too narrow would even cause this type of issue?

I do have an Audi extended warranty but the issue is that my local dealer (one of only 2 here in Northern Ireland both with similar waits) takes 2 months to be available for even a simple service so only knows how long for a warranty job. 

I don’t want to fork out for new tyres if this would not be an issue as they are only 2 months old but the noise is driving me insane as I do mostly motorway driving at 60+. 

What do you think could it be the tyres?

Edited by MCCLOY96

Hello James,

My first suspicion would indeed be tyres, and the first thing I would do is to check in the handbook what the correct width and profile should be for the 20 inch wheel option - if 20 inch were an option. I would also check that your tyres are marked XL (extra load) as I think they should be for the Avant. 
If what you have doesn’t match those in the handbook, then I would be sending a sensibly worded complaint e-mail to the dealer principal, and requesting that a set of correct size for the vehicle is fitted without delay. 
If the tyres are correct, then I would be calling into a trusted local tyre retailer and asking them to remove the wheels and thoroughly inspect each tyre. 
Perhaps you can keep us updated James. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.