Headlight range control defective. Strange issue

DaddyN

Hello,

I have an A5 8T3 (2009 coupe 2.7 TDI) with Xenon lights. It recently went in to have the rear brakes replaced and has been working fine. Then two days later the dash warning "Headlight range Control Defective" comes up. After reviewing the web and some tube video's, it looks like a faulty sensor. I inspected the rear as that may have been disturbed with the brake works. I found that the arm that links the lower joint to the sensor arm was snapped off, and both mini ball joints rusted and seized. So to cover my bum, I ordered both front and rear sensors. This is the first time this message has appeared.

I installed the rear sensor today which took me 3 hours! as working on axel stands. A bit of a pain, but all done. I powered up the car and low and behold, the warning has come on! Okay, so maybe the front also needs to be replaced. Jack, axel stand swap to front and lets go....Err NO! On inspecting the NS front, there is no sensor or wiring!!! Both NS and OS wheels are off, so I inspected the OS to, no sign of wiring. I removed the arch liner, no wiring. I have no idea, but there is no wiring for a front NS sensor. I've had the headlight out and gone through the wiring and trays etc, nothing.

So, does this version only have a rear sensor? Should it have both? There is no wiring that I can find for the front. Does one of the modules need a reset in VCDS etc? I don't have any software or hardware to do this, but I'm concerned that one of the previous owners may have hacked the wiring? Some pictures attached for reference if anyone can shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks DaddyN.

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

Sunday 20th. So I've gone through the underside and NS inner arch and engine bay. No sign of any wiring or connector for the front NS level sensor. My assumption is that this variant only has the rear level sensor?

As I had a new front sensor and I'm still getting the message, I wired up the front sensor to the rear and still got the same message. 

So I am looking for someone who can confirm to me if I need to have a module reset, locate the range control module and replace? and should it only have a rear level sensor?

Thank you all.

DaddyN

• 2 months later...