Turning circle and car parks

ssharma

Hi, 

I'm looking at buying the new A6 saloon (front wheel drive). I like the car but conscious of its size. Can the current owners please advise on how it handles mini roundabouts, ramps and tight turns in multi story car parks in the UK?

Thanks 

The length is very noticeable so the higher trim variants i.e. black edition and vorsprung.. have rear wheel steer and probably makes the vehicle length less noticeable. Width wise, it is wide no doubt about that.

Most small roundabouts aren't an issue if you are careful, never taken it in a multi-story so cannot advise on that though I expect you would need to be careful.

Other thing is the slab sided design does make knowing where the lowest parts of the bumpers are relative to objects difficult hence the cameras are useful, I managed to knock down a low wall almost as soon as I got it home, 8 years at the house and never tapped anything with 2 different cars until the C8 came along...

My previous 2022 40 TDi black edition did not have all wheel steering. 

Can’t confirm whether my new Quattro 40TDi does. 

From what I read  4 wheel steering is available on the S6 and RS6 models that have the air suspension.

I changed from the 40TDi (FWD) to the Quattro. During the snow we had last year getting home in what I considered mild snow conditions (3-9inches) was a real struggle. Additionally driving on b roads I never expected a sprite or athletic drive round bends in the A6 Avant given the weight of the car. But because the car is long and heavy you do feel like you’re dragging your rear end around bends (under steer). For this I changed for the Quattro which when pushed hard you do feel that slight feeling you get in RWD cars of being pushed around/into the bend giving that much more pleasurable experience driving or the extra confidence to push a little bit more on the next bend.

FWD for the commute/long distance driving is spot on. But for the extra fun and practical experience in snow Quattro is probably better.

turning circle is as you expect for a medium/long wheel base car.

When compared to shorter wheel base cars like hatchbacks, you are going to notice regardless of weight of the car you won’t get that go kart thrill driving around bends ( b roads) neither manoeuvrability in tight spaces.

I’ve been used to saloons and estates for daily drivers for a number of years so I guess you get used to it.

Pretty much saved me typing about 4Wheel steering only available on higher powertrains in the UK, although I read a UK car magazine review with it on a 50 3.0 V6 tDi as an optional extra.

The 40tdi is a bit lethargic. I’ve had a couple as courtesy cars and didn’t like them compared to my 40 TFSi.

I genuinely don’t find it ‘feels’ particularly big for such a big car, and I drive mine in mainly urban areas. Never had an issue parking. Boot space is very good for a saloon as well.

21 hours ago, jammy said:

Pretty much saved me typing about 4Wheel steering only available on higher powertrains in the UK, although I read a UK car magazine review with it on a 50 3.0 V6 tDi as an optional extra.

The 40tdi is a bit lethargic. I’ve had a couple as courtesy cars and didn’t like them compared to my 40 TFSi.

I genuinely don’t find it ‘feels’ particularly big for such a big car, and I drive mine in mainly urban areas. Never had an issue parking. Boot space is very good for a saloon as well.

Initially looking at models registered around  2019-2020 I think had more flexibility with ordering options. In the UK vehicles from 2021- due to component shortages, Audi standardised options and equipment and took some of the flexibility away.

From 2021-2022 the diesel v6 drivetrain platforms were made redundant/no longer available to order for the A6 leaving the 4 cylinder 40,45 TDi/TFSi for the MHEV platform. Probably due to our draconian ‘green tax’ placed onto the car owners. Putting people off £700+ a year in road tax.

I still can’t get my head around the fact im paying £570 a year in road tax on my 2.0 diesel car when my previous car 6.2 litre supercharge v8 was around the same I recall in 2016!