Rough Shifting Problem A6 C7 2016, DSG - 7 Speed

H11KUC

Hello Audi Owners,

So, I thought I'd put up this post for those who, like me, are having a bit of a nightmare with their Audi A6 C7 gearbox shifting. I've been scouring the web, but couldn't find any decent fixes. Lots of people posted about it, but most just ended up taking their cars to the dealer, and there were no updates after that.

I got this car about 6 months ago, and at first, I didn't notice the issue. The issue was that the gear shifting felt pretty bumpy when moving from 1st to 2nd gear, especially when stuck in slow-moving traffic. However, if you put your foot down and accelerate a bit more aggressively, it shifted smoothly. That's the easiest way to put it.

So, I decided to get to the bottom of it. I started with a gearbox service, changing the oils in both the gearbox and mechatronic, along with the mechatronic filter. No luck, didn't make a difference. Then I turned my attention to the suspension, swapping out the arms. Nope, that didn't help either.

I heard a weird noise coming from the CV joint on one side and decided to change the entire driveshaft. Still, no improvement. I was getting ready to tackle the clutch when I dropped by the local garage, and they suggested taking a look at the dual mass flywheel (DMF) because they heard some noise when starting the car.

Finally, after swapping out the DMF, the car shifts like a dream now. I'm not saying this is the silver bullet for all shifting problems, but I hope it helps someone out there identify or relate to their issue.

To describe my issue better, the scanner didn't show any errors, the car used to jerk from 1st to 2nd with a loud banging noise from underneath. Also, when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st, it would make the same noise and jolt. When driving faster, I noticed a slight power drop when shifting into 4th and 6th gear, meaning the car didn't accelerate smoothly through the gears during acceleration.

Good luck fixing it if you are having the same problem.

Edited by H11KUC
  • Like 1