Reversing sensors and fitting a reversing camera

clanmcwood

Hi all first post and a new member, This is my first Audi believe it or not after 30 years driving and loving my little A3 8P 2012 1.6D sportsback not just pottering trying to get all the things sorted that are not working first is the reversing sensors.  They are not working at all no sound at all when in reverse any idea or common things to check? I have no warning lights saying its not working and the volume is set to 9 in the computer and the after market stereo i have detects the system through the canbus but doesnt seem to be detecting anything. could this be a single bad sensor (if they are wired in series?)

Second issue is I want to fit a reversing camera and want to use the reverse light wiring to power the camera but having trouble seeing how i get the rear boot quarter trim panels off to get to any of the cabling (first world problem as the trim is good quality and a pain to remove haha) any ideas for the best way to get a tapped feed from the reversing light circuits? 

Any help would be mostly appreciated

Cheers in advance

I have found a guide on removing the A3 8P boot trim on the VWAF forum thats is going to be a life saver and allow access to the parking module that is probably the issue, (can also get to the boot lid harness as well so both issues should be sorted 🙂

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/23893-quot-How-To-quot-remove-boot-trim-panels-on-an-A3

Great Bob,

Any particular reason why you are suspecting the parking module is the offender rather than one of the sensors? 
If indeed it is the module, then I have a spare one - probably for the same reason as you think yours is defunct! 
Keep us posted Bob.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

because there are no beeps and I have to get into the side trim anyway to tap into the reversing light circuit so its a two birds situation I can do a resistance check on the sensors where they plug into the control unit to make sure the sensors are working as they should. If the unit turns out to be dead will probably message you about your spare one 🙂 

Cheers 

Bob