Battery low charge

Rust81

Hi, I’m getting the low battery warning when starting the car for the first time each day, I suspect not helped by the recent cold weather. The message says the battery will be charged whilst driving and then doesn’t come back til the next day. I’m thinking to get a trickle charger and leave it hooked up to the charge points in the bonnet as the manual says. Has anyone had experienced the same and am I better off just getting a new battery? Thanks 

Hello Russell, 

Sounds a classic case of a failing battery, and yes, you could trickle charge it with a bought- in charger, but the battery is going to let you down sooner than later. 
Do you know how old the battery is? 
If it were mine, I would be investing in a new good quality battery before the weather gets much colder. 
I’ve recently bought Exide batteries at very competitive prices from Tayna Batteries. Just go on eBay and find their listings, send them a message with your reg. no. and they will confirm suitability. You could go to their website and do it that way, but they are likely to quote you for their (generally more expensive) Enduroline. They are usually postage free on eBay, and sometimes code SAVES8 gets you an extra 8% off. 

Highly likely the new battery will need coding to the car. 
I never buy batteries on price, and always go for brands with 4 or 5 year warranties, since these vehicles are highly dependent on efficient batteries.

Perhaps you could let us know what you think Russell, and how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

I suspect it’s the original battery so coming up to 10 years old. I’ve just put two new tyres and replaced the radiator so hoping I can drag out replacing the battery. Would you charge via the bonnet connections or remove it and do it that way? 

Hello Russell,

I would be surprised if it’s not an AGM battery, so if you are going down the road of buying a charger to top it up, then it would be false economy not to buy the proper ‘intelligent’ charger which would be necessary to charge any now-normal AGM battery in the future - not so cheap. 
If it were mine, I would just ignore the low warning light if the car is going to be used for a reasonable daily journey - if it starts, it starts. When it doesn’t - you are in trouble. 
It maybe worth pointing out that inefficient batteries are likely to start throwing up other warning lights - until you get to the stage of a ‘Christmas tree warning light’ display. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

i bought a brand new(supposedly), halfords stop/start battery from eBay i took it to audi but they could not code it to the car.so i went to halfords and said it would cost a £100 to code it to the car.so i left it.

Thanks Steve,

Does the battery perform its function even though not yet coded? 
Have you tried an Audi independent? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

it performs its function but audi says charge it up the stop start is not performimg like it should and when i put the snap on to check things it says please ensure that the battery of the vehicle is kept above 12.75 volts.... so i am losing communication with the car when trying to check for any codes/faults.not tried an audi independent gareth.regards stephen