OHME Charge problem

Anton8

Hi. I realise this is not an Audi problem but I have an error with my home OHME charger. The vertical lights are flashing red and showing an error. Contacted OHME they say it is an overcharge problem. They sent me the incoming voltage record for my charger and it it running between 252 v and 238v and this is causing the error. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. My grid supplier says this is just with their range.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem now solved. UK Power sent an engineer out to me and checked the incoming voltage and it was within range. The charger draws nearly 30amp when on full charge so the main house fuse has been changed from 60amp to 100amp. also realised that the surge protection device had failed, so that has been replaced as well. So it seems it is not just a case of buying and plugging in an EV.

• Like 1

Many thanks Tony,

Possibly too pessimistic for a weekend, but would it be too cynical to think your problem is likely to become more widespread? 
Pardon my ignorance with this, but is it such that all new EVs have to have a dedicated independent supply? 
If so, how long before this supply becomes metered, and the metered unit prices increased to try to recoup some of the revenue lost through the reduction in the use of highly taxed fossil fuels? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth

The supply to the charger should be a dedicated circuit from your distribution board, so they could put a meter in but I doubt they would bother. More likely they would start to charge EV's with a road fund licence. 

Meter? - could be necessary on the dedicated supply -  possibly likely?? 
Recouping some of the revenue lost through non use of fossil fuels? 
Increasing ‘road fund licence’ for EVs?  
Unless they increase this to over £thousand, the current tax (revenue) of c87p/litre of fuel would be seriously reduced via. the increased use of EVs, so increased electricity tariffs for charging them would seem to be inevitable - in my opinion (for what it’s worth! ).

Kind regards,

Gareth.