Muflap/arch protectors

Jennifer Jones

The Audi A2 moulded rubberised mudflap/arch protectors on my car are impacting a 5mph speed hump that a neighbour has installed outside his house on our private road.

Are these repeated impacts with the weight of the car behind them likely to damage the lower section of the wheel arch?

Any comments regarding the legal implications would be appreciated. Many thanks

20231226_122925.jpg

It'll scuff the bottom.of the mudflaps over time. 

I question the legality of one individual fitting a speed hump to a private road, as a private road repair and maintenance has to be shared between all houses on that road. 

Hello again Jennifer,

As Steve says - but by what I can see, and what you say, this is already troublesome.

As for the legal implications, personally I feel we are totally ill equipped to advise you there, but CAB should be able to - if you and you your neighbour can’t sort it out between you.  
I guess CAB would want to know the background of why this is thought to be necessary on a private (No through?) road, etc. , but I don’t think we should be commenting further on this topic, unless anyone else on here disagrees. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

In our situation, the "private road" where we live is owned by the original property developer and there is a management company who manages the shared areas. If you are in that situation, then you could refer the whole thing to them, as any changes would have to have been agreed by them.  The key would be to determine who owns the road and is responsible for its maintenance.

If your mudflaps don't catch on any speedbumps installed locally by the council, then that puts you in a strong position as well, if your car isn't being damaged by humps on the public highway.

If the road is shared ownership between you, your neighbour, other neighbours etc then seek legal advice.

Some interesting stuff here: https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/speed-bump-regulations 

Good luck!