Using phone data while connected to Audi's wifi hostspot

ssharma
聽Share

I'm considering buying an Audi data pack (using Cubic Telecomm) to enable use of apps such as Alexa in the car which require Audi data to be bought.

My phone connects to the Audi Wifi hotspot (and I need that connection because I use Android Auto).

At the moment, as I don't have any Audi data, my phone uses the cellular data from my mobile even though it is connected to the car's wifi hotspot.

If I buy Audi data, the phone will start using that, due to the wifi hotspot connection. How do I stop this from happening please as the Audi data is way more expensive than the cellular data.

I'm using a Samsung phone on the Android.

If anyone has found a way around it, please let me know.

Looks like there might be a way - google "android force app to use mobile data".聽 It will have to be a phone configuration, not something you can do with the MMI. Mostly, it's desirable to use WiFi over cellular data except in this case 馃檪

Thanks Mike - yes, a phone question more than an Audi question.

I can force individual apps to use mobile data but then they will use mobile data even when I'm on the home WiFi. I will constantly have to keep switching settings in that case 馃槀.

I'm looking for a solution where the phone uses mobile data for all apps when connected to one particular WiFi network (in this case - the car's).

I will keep digging and post here if I find a way!

Not that I know the answer, but I鈥檝e never had any concern of data usage however mine is less than 3 years old.

I use Apple car play which I assume is the same as android auto when I review my data usage this almost always comes out of my phone contract. If not then I have never had to worry about data usage.

i recall a while ago now that most cars that used 4g had a micro SIM card with a receiver which ran any online services (map/traffic updates etc).

Whether this is still the case now, (probably not) but people used to remove said SIM card and replace it with a fixed contract SIM card with data. The only thing that was disabled was the Ecall system as it required the manufacturer subscription/license.