My maddest idea yet

Steve Q

As we know I'm a dreamer, but a have a serious goal of guaranteeing the longevity of the A6. 

I'm supposed to be getting an engine transplant for the A6, but this keeps getting further and further delayed and I'm getting impatient which got me thinking, dangerous I know! 

Also another off the wall/pie in the sky idea. I notice the wheel base of the Isuzu trooper lwb and A6 is very similar.....

I've seen other cars fitted to ladder chassis and it got me thinking. That way I have the comfort of the A6 but durability of a proper off roader, which would be ideal for future road trips. As well as better parts availability, and easier to repair 😉

I'm wondering how it would work regarding DVLA as I'd like to keep the Audi's current reg. However I think if the body is mounted to the isuzu chassis and has full Isuzu running gear then it would have to have the isuzu reg? 

In which case the only way round that is buy a 2002 isuzu or younger and transfer the Audi plate to it?

Please see attached pictures of the dimensions of both. 

And a picture of a merc estate as a rough idea but obviously not as high as I'd be keeping the isuzu stock, other than changing to the bullet proof 2.8 4jz engine. 

I appreciate this wouldn't be cheap, baring in mind I'm expecting a current rebuild cost of £3k for the A6 current transplant for parts and labour. 

IMG_20240113_164113.jpg

IMG_20240113_164055.jpg

FB_IMG_1705167744836.jpg

If you wanted to keep the Audi’s reg and identity, it would be classified as *significant* changes to the suspension, running gear, powertrain etc which would mean an engineer’s report and IVA according to memory.

However, it is perfectly legal to alter the body around as you wish so using the identity from the Isuzu would be less onerous. Not pain free, but less pain than the other way round.

The rules about major components are what you need to read as well. Points for various bits and you need to score enough to avoid a Q plate.

Finding a 2.8 diesel Trooper that hasn’t disintegrated into microscopic flakes of rust is also going to be a mission.

I went through similar converting a Land Rover from a 2.25 petrol to 5.9 Cummins 6BT diesel. Having a friendly MOT guy to advise on various aspects was very helpful. And no, I wouldn’t do it again 😀 But good luck if you go for it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DomDom said:

If you wanted to keep the Audi’s reg and identity, it would be classified as *significant* changes to the suspension, running gear, powertrain etc which would mean an engineer’s report and IVA according to memory.

However, it is perfectly legal to alter the body around as you wish so using the identity from the Isuzu would be less onerous. Not pain free, but less pain than the other way round.

The rules about major components are what you need to read as well. Points for various bits and you need to score enough to avoid a Q plate.

Finding a 2.8 diesel Trooper that hasn’t disintegrated into microscopic flakes of rust is also going to be a mission.

I went through similar converting a Land Rover from a 2.25 petrol to 5.9 Cummins 6BT diesel. Having a friendly MOT guy to advise on various aspects was very helpful. And no, I wouldn’t do it again 😀 But good luck if you go for it.

Thank you 🙂 yea it looks Like the Audi would take the isuzu identity as the DVLA have a points system. Keeping the isuzu running gear keeps it with 8 points. The alternative engine is a 3.1 isuzu engine. 

As I say it's proving difficult to source certain parts these days for the Audi. At least for the isuzu I can guarantee simplicity, durability, reliability and parts availability