Front brake discs rust ring

Nash_____

Hi I have recently bought a 2014 Q5 SE 3.0TDI Quattro with full service history but both front brake docs have a rust ring in exact same location, any ideas of the cause and rectification?

TIA

The reason why Nigel?? The recently bought bit probably has something to do with it due to the possibility of vehicle standing with little use - on forecourts etc. 

Solution:- Renew discs and pads. You should find some competitive prices for quality Brembo parts from reputable sellers on eBay
Of course, you could just ignore the slightly reduced braking efficiency, and change them when the pads next need changing. 
How much pad thickness do you have left Nigel? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Hi many thanks I’ve got it in for brake check tomorrow and wheels are being refurbished today so they’ll take some pictures to re pad wear, thanks very much for the quick reply 👍👍

• Like 1

Hi after inspection new pads fitted to old worn discs, Car Dealership says normal procedure when pads worn out and scoring discs 🤣

Have stated should always fit in pairs, new pads need new discs and vice versa, pathetic excuse still on going with dealership for replacement🙏

Many thanks Nigel, 

Probably not bought from a main dealer due to age of vehicle -? 
I think what you have suffered from is cheapest repair option. 
Although I understand where you are coming from in respect of ‘always fit in pairs’ ( discs and pads), I don’t necessarily think this is always necessary - proviso:- the disc surfaces are reasonably free from scoring, and will remain within thickness tolerance through the life of the new set of pads, and are not suffering from vibration on braking. The latter may actually be introduced on fitting new discs. 
In your case, there is absolutely no doubt that the discs are totally shot, and your principle should have applied without question. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gareth, I understand completely,  my circumstance is typical from a used car non main dealer dealership I guess just hope they see sense, hope to hear tomorrow 👍

• Like 1

Had a main dealer do this to my 435d, and put new pads on rubbish rotors.. Trying to flog a car with minimal expense. 

Thankfully I spotted it before than handover.

Fun times. 

• Like 1

Shocking really for a main dealer for sure, this isn’t the case for me but nevertheless still bad practice in my opinion 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 12:22 PM, Nash_____ said:

Shocking really for a main dealer for sure, this isn’t the case for me but nevertheless still bad practice in my opinion 👍

Car dealership (non Audi) accepted responsibility new Brembo discs and pads fitted, had to use my tenacity reserves but all good in the end 👍

IMG_5463.jpeg

IMG_5464.jpeg

IMG_5466.jpeg

IMG_5465.jpeg

Very pleased it all worked out for you in the end Nigel, albeit with a bit of assistance from Percy Verance! 
Now you need to keep an eye on your ‘Chinese best’ tyres - particularly in the wet? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks again Nigel, but apologies for saying as it is, but it could be potentially more serious than the Haha bit, unless always driven with care. 

To be fair it’s a Q5 not an RS3 so I drive it accordingly, I’ve driven it hard in the wet and no issues to be honest after owning a number of 4WD 300+ BHP motors I’m seeing how these fair before I consider replacing 👍