D4 c-pillar trim removal

mak156

Hi all. Have posted before about a squeak I'm trying to sort in my 2015 A8. Looks to be the a-pillar trim piece. I tried removing it but it looks like I need to remove the trim piece behind as well to get at the last fixing. I took the handle off said piece but it still felt pretty solid and I didn't want to force it. Any advice on it would be much appreciated. I have everything else off the a-pillar trim so this is the final piece hopefully!

Hi Jason, thanks for posting.

I actually managed to open it last night. the A-pillar is one long piece that goes all the way back past the B-pillar. I needed to open the front end of the c-pillar trim to get to a fixing that was holding the A-pillar in place. The way to get to it is to remove the reading light first which is pretty straighforward (pry it open it from the pointy end of the light as there is a spring clip there). Once that was out I was able to access the fixing holding the back end of the trim piece. 

I was able to open a lot of the a-pillar - however the front end is held with a cable tie at the base (strange, but definitely factory as I check the other side and it was the same). it's also pretty well connected to the airbag. But I was able to open it enough to get some adhesive backed foam on the a-pillar itself so hopefully that might do something for me. if not at least i know how to get back in - but patience is wearing thin!

i'll see how it goes and will post an update if necessary in the off chance it might help someone in the future.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I took the trim off again as it was still squeaking. Am I correct in saying that the end of the airbag is missing a clip? You can see the clip further left, and there is a hole and tag at the end of the airbag that would suggest it should be clipped?

IMG_20240323_143438.jpg

IMG_20240323_143435.jpg