Help. A4 Misfire.

Zoe

Car had slight vibration. Said cylinder 4 misfire. Changed injector and was 100 x worse. Put old one back in, better. Codes were cylinder 3 and 4 misfire. Changed coil packs and spark plugs. Car running but rough and fuel economy terrible. Any ideas coz we are struggling to find the issue

Hi. I’ve put on a code reader and this is the codes. 

IMG_0862.jpeg

Hi. Thanks for that. So am I right in thinking it now needs to go to a garage and have all the valves and stuff cleaning? Any idea of approximate cost of that? 

Hello Zoe,

A lot has been said, and some tests done. If it were mine, I would now be taking this back to first principles and getting a compression test done on each cylinder before embarking on more expensive in depth diagnosis. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Trophy? - guess you are talking the Leaderboard trophy Jason - well done you - a lot of time put in to get that. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try that. I’m willing to try anything at this point

The coil packs and spark plugs were done at garage. Partner did injector and breather pipe as he’s a mechanic but he doesn’t have access to tools for there cleaning etc 

Yes it was like for like. It didn’t need coding as it was a plug n play removed and a plug and play put in. When we put it in it through up

code saying faulty component. The part has been sent to Bosch to be tested before refund or replacement. 
it’s done 111000 but been looked after if that makes sense. I think it’s wear and tear more than anything. 

Also my partner said there is a carbon build up but I’ve been quoted £400 plus to have that sorted

I think we are going to get it booked in for compression test and clean the Egr valve and manifold and see what that does

• Like 1

Update. Compression test done. Cylinder 1 3 and 4 all really low! Any further ideas. Possible timing jump? Next steps? 

So I’ve spoke to warranty people and finance and if it’s injectors I’m not covered. If it’s electrical, valves or timing I am so I have 9 days to get a diagnostic repaint and “approved” to be fixed. I’ve proved the vibration was there when bought so may have reason to return but need a diagnostic at min. It’s trying to get one in time. Everywhere I ask is booked solid! 

I’ve sent the pictures and it isn’t enough. They want a full diagnostic report with a price for parts and labour also. I’ll have a look on Google. We are struggling to get a mobile mechanic and obviously I can’t drive car and garages are fully booked

Hello Zoe,

Although the compression test has revealed a significant ‘mechanical’ issue with the engine, at least it has eliminated the need to waste money on injectors etc. to no avail. 
I notice the reference to a warranty, which was not known about before. Does that mean you have only recently purchased the car - or the warranty? 
I think the all important progressive next move is to obtain copy of the compression test results, and to start a written exchange with the warranty company. 
As always, we can only advise on an ‘if it were mine’ situation, and if it was, I would certainly discontinue any DIY mechanics on this car. It could leave you open to debate as to whether any faults have been aggravated by your ( partner’s) actions.

Perhaps you could keep us up to date Zoe, and if we can help, we will. 
Good luck in getting it sorted. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Hi. I didn’t mention warranty as I’d been told previously by garage it was injectors which I knew weren’t covered. Since getting the above faults and compression test we now know it’s a more serious problem so I reached out to warranty company and finance company for assistance. I’m awaiting a full diagnosis then I will take it from there. I will keep you updated on the actual fault   Thanks for all advice 

Thanks Zoe,

How long have you had the car, and has it been like this from the time you had it? 
Kind regards,

Zoe. 

I’ve had it just under a year. It had a slight vibration under seat. They checked injectors, replaced coils and spark plugs and mass air flow sensor and it was still there. They said it’s a hard diagnosis and since there was no misfire to leave it and it’s been ok til now 

Hi. So diagnostic report has been done. Waiting for price for parts and labour and basically the exact cause but this is what has been flagged up  I’ll update when I know moreIMG_0917.thumb.png.06b9c797cf5599a81ba6659299c1d899.png

Yeah I know hence my complaint to finance company that garage didn’t do job correctly and have possibly caused the decline 

I honestly don’t care if garage are to blame aslong as they cover the cost to have it repaired. 

• Like 1