Engine Management Light

Lauren3001

Hey. Collected an Audi Q5 2.0 Quattro yesterday. Diesel, auto. 
Drove it 40 miles home, got into it today and the EML came on. Spoke with garage, they’re happy for me to take it back to them on Monday morning for them to sort - he said he spoke to one of the technicians who said he thinks it’s potentially a O2 sensor issue. 
Car feels fine, no lag, and drives what I think it normal. 
We have a mechanic friend coming tomorrow who is going to plug it in and see what’s going on. 
The tech at the dealership said because the vehicles potentially been standing for a few weeks he thinks this is why the oxygen sensor light is on. I personally have no clue about cars in depth, just wondering if this sounds likely? 

15 minutes ago, Lauren3001 said:

Hey. Collected an Audi Q5 2.0 Quattro yesterday. Diesel, auto. 
Drove it 40 miles home, got into it today and the EML came on. Spoke with garage, they’re happy for me to take it back to them on Monday morning for them to sort - he said he spoke to one of the technicians who said he thinks it’s potentially a O2 sensor issue. 
Car feels fine, no lag, and drives what I think it normal. 
We have a mechanic friend coming tomorrow who is going to plug it in and see what’s going on. 
The tech at the dealership said because the vehicles potentially been standing for a few weeks he thinks this is why the oxygen sensor light is on. I personally have no clue about cars in depth, just wondering if this sounds likely? 

I guess it's plausible that a sensor might just go awol but I'd say it sounds abit like clutching at straws, nowadays without the car being on a diagnostic device nobody has a clue because everything seems to talk to everything else and if something doesn't send the relevant information at the relevant time then it they get scared.

I'd say get codes read and go from there, you've nothing to lose from doing that

Thank you.. yeah he seemed adamant but then who knows! The car has been through various checks in preparation for me to collect it, 4 glow plugs changed, brake pads etc. The guy said the tech who he spoke to was the guy who prepped the car for me to collect and he was pretty certain that’s what it would be but like you say, the light could come on for anything and we won’t know until we have the codes.

Will know more tomorrow morning when our friend comes over to plug it in 🤞🏻
Spoke to the garage further, they’ll obviously sort whatever it is for me, it’s just a pain as they’re an hour away and can’t go until Monday morning! 

55 minutes ago, flatoutflatbroke said:

I guess it's plausible that a sensor might just go awol but I'd say it sounds abit like clutching at straws, nowadays without the car being on a diagnostic device nobody has a clue because everything seems to talk to everything else and if something doesn't send the relevant information at the relevant time then it they get scared.

I'd say get codes read and go from there, you've nothing to lose from doing that

Thank you.. yeah he seemed adamant but then who knows! The car has been through various checks in preparation for me to collect it, 4 glow plugs changed, brake pads etc. The guy said the tech who he spoke to was the guy who prepped the car for me to collect and he was pretty certain that’s what it would be but like you say, the light could come on for anything and we won’t know until we have the codes.

Will know more tomorrow morning when our friend comes over to plug it in 🤞🏻
Spoke to the garage further, they’ll obviously sort whatever it is for me, it’s just a pain as they’re an hour away and can’t go until Monday morning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lauren3001 said:

I picked mine up today and I too have a few niggles that need sorting, then I do a check and find out there's a recall outstanding... I'll definitely be on the case tomorrow to find out why I wasn't pre informed 

1 minute ago, flatoutflatbroke said:

I picked mine up today and I too have a few niggles that need sorting, then I do a check and find out there's a recall outstanding... I'll definitely be on the case tomorrow to find out why I wasn't pre informed 

Ah no! Annoying! 
What year is it? I had a Q3 before this and was impressed with it, had it for 6 years! Just wanted something bigger (kids!). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lauren3001 said:

6 minutes ago, Lauren3001 said:

Ah no! Annoying! 
What year is it? I had a Q3 before this and was impressed with it, had it for 6 years! Just wanted something bigger (kids!). 

It's a 2014 plate, had a jag xf 3.0d before this but as we're expecting a 2nd within the next month or so I needed something with a bigger boot and this seemed perfect 

1 minute ago, flatoutflatbroke said:

It's a 2014 plate, had a jag xf 3.0d before this but as we're expecting a 2nd within the next month or so I needed something with a bigger boot and this seemed perfect 

Congrats!

hope all goes ok with the recall. What’s it for?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lauren3001 said:

Congrats!

hope all goes ok with the recall. What’s it for?

Thanks Lauren 😊 

Honestly I don't know, hopefully its nothing serious otherwise I'll be doing my ends with the selling company 

Edited by flatoutflatbroke

18 minutes ago, flatoutflatbroke said:

Thanks Lauren 😊 

Honestly I don't know, hopefully its nothing serious otherwise I'll be doing my ends with the selling company 

Fingers crossed they get you sorted and it’s nothing too serious. Bit naughty of them not to tell you beforehand though! 🙄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lauren3001 said:

Fingers crossed they get you sorted and it’s nothing too serious. Bit naughty of them not to tell you beforehand though! 🙄

Yeah considering one of the salesmen was the last keeper.... apparently but he didn't know about the issues I'd flagged up so unsure if they are trying to pull the wool or not but I've gone in with my eyes firmly open 

9 hours ago, flatoutflatbroke said:

Yeah considering one of the salesmen was the last keeper.... apparently but he didn't know about the issues I'd flagged up so unsure if they are trying to pull the wool or not but I've gone in with my eyes firmly open 

Well I hope you get it sorted asap. Surely if they’re not going to entertain sorting it or acknowledging it, you can just give them the car back! Have you any warranty from them?
Annoying buying a car that’s new to you, and then there being issues! I’ve been very frustrated this weekend, stuck in with 2 small children not knowing whether I can drive this car or not! 

Our friend is due this morning to plug it in, so guess I’ll know more then!

15 minutes ago, Lauren3001 said:

Well I hope you get it sorted asap. Surely if they’re not going to entertain sorting it or acknowledging it, you can just give them the car back! Have you any warranty from them?
Annoying buying a car that’s new to you, and then there being issues! I’ve been very frustrated this weekend, stuck in with 2 small children not knowing whether I can drive this car or not! 

Our friend is due this morning to plug it in, so guess I’ll know more then!

I have got a 3 month warranty with the selling company so at least that's something 

9 minutes ago, flatoutflatbroke said:

I have got a 3 month warranty with the selling company so at least that's something 

Keep me posted! 

1 hour ago, flatoutflatbroke said:

Yeah I shall do, I hope the issue with yours is easily sorted too 

Update:

Our friend has just been, the issue is glow plug 4 - all 4 glow plugs were changed when they were prepping the car! My partner and father in law said this might be the case, so guess they were right! Waiting for the dealership to open so I can call them and update them. I’ll still be heading there tomorrow and hopefully they can sort it the same day without me needing to take a courtesy car home! 🤞🏻🙏🏻

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lauren3001 said:

Update:

Our friend has just been, the issue is glow plug 4 - all 4 glow plugs were changed when they were prepping the car! My partner and father in law said this might be the case, so guess they were right! Waiting for the dealership to open so I can call them and update them. I’ll still be heading there tomorrow and hopefully they can sort it the same day without me needing to take a courtesy car home! 🤞🏻🙏🏻

Hopefully its an easy fix for you and can be done while you wait, I'm going to call audi now