S-Tronic DL501 7 Speed, Oil Drain / Fill Hex Socket Size ?

S-Cronic

Hi everyone, to follow on from my S-Cronic problems I'm doing Gearbox Oil and Filter Service with the Full "MEYLE" 7 Litre kit, looked at loads of videos online and all pretty comprehensive, but none I've found mention the size of the Hex Socket needed for the Transmission Drain and Fill plugs ?

Could somebody give me the correct size / Information please ? Much appreciated as always ............🙂 

Hello Mark,

Are these the inset/internal hexagonal plugs? If so, Apologies but I don’t know the size off hand. What I have here is a set of Laser brand multi sized hex ( and square I think) drain plug sockets. These were cheap at the time and probably not the best for continuous work, but has served my DIY needs when put into use. This would be my choice for the way forward. 
One tip (which you probably know) is always undo the filler plug first. Never undo the drain plug first, Incase ( why does Incase always come up with a capital I with this system!?) you then find you can’t undo the filler. Big problem then! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, Yes they are, the oil drain plug is on the bottom of the gearbox sump pan and the filler nut up on the side  at the top, both are inset hexagonal I believe ........ they look like 10mm but not sure? either way I need to buy one or a set of different sizes, if only I knew the correct size !

Thanks Mark,

If you search - say eBay - you will find sets of variable sizes, one of which should suit your needs, and who knows, some of the others maybe of use at some other time. 
Repeating - you don’t need to find the size, just buy a multi set.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yes thanks Gareth, I've seen those on eBay and usually they are in sets of nine or ten from 2mm to 10mm ........ but some forums say the gearbox sump drain and filler plugs needs a special "Audi Only" 16mm long inset hex socket ? I don't think this applies to the 7 Speed DL501 box in the A7 ?  but was hoping somebody on here must have self serviced their 7 speed S-Tronic and therefore know the size ?   🤔 

HaHa ...I could, but I don't want to go through the hassle of putting the car on the ramp, dropping the undertray, then removing the large metal cross brace, only to find out I don't actually have the right socket, so many comprehensive videos and blogs showing a full gearbox service on You Tube / Forums etc, they list every tool, every part, what Torque settings, what temperature to fill, how to do it from start to finish etc etc ...... but I can't find one that tell you the two drain plug sizes ? if they were all the same it would be a breeze, but different sizes for Multi -Tronic, S-Tronic, 6 Speed, 7 Speed, A6 A7 Q7 TT etc etc ....... Some fill and drain are next to each other, some are staggered , some are on the base of the gearbox sump and up the side nearing the top of the gearbox, but basically hidden from sight on the A7 3.0 TDi Quattro 7 speed S-Tronic ....... I'm stunned nobody mentions this or knows on any forum or YT video, not that I've found anyhow ? Arghhhhhhhhhhh 🤪😃

Posted (edited)

So just an update for others, the gearbox drain and fill plugs on my A7 S-Tronic 3.0 TDi (DL501) were indeed 10mm insert Hex, tightened back up to 45NM when finished as per specification. With the steel cross brace in place you can get to the drain plug very easily, the filler plug up the side at the top is a little more tricky, but as I was doing the full service including the internal filter I had to take the sump pan off anyway, with it all out of the way both plugs are much easier to drain and more importantly fill.

Edited by S-Cronic

Great Mark,

So there you go - a ‘multi set’ of drain plug sockets from the likes of Draper etc. would suffice - as recommended in my first answer post to your initial question. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Yes, in the end I found out by a good friend letting me use his ramp, was able to try out various hex in the drain plug and of course it did turn out to be a 10mm ....which I thought it was all along but didn't want to buy more tools I didn't  need, anyway, once I knew the size I went down the multi socket set route Gareth and as you said, job done for under a tenner on eBay ....... Happy days !