Clattering sound when releasing clutch

Hi All
So this morning got into my 2009 A3 1.4tfsi started as normal foot depressing clutch as i was getting to the biting point the car started making a horrendous clattering sound which immediately went away when i depressed the clutch pedal 
I’m thinking its the flywheel and/or clutch 
Any ideas how i can narrow down the fault?

Hello David,

Whatever component within the clutch assembly is at fault, it obviously means gearbox out to find the offender, be it from the release bearing/ concentric clutch, to the DM flywheel - or pressure plate or driven  plate in between  - all won’t be revealed until it is disassembled. 
Regrettably, but to be expected, it would not make sense just to renew the offending part, so a full assembly sounds ominous. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I would advise only using quality parts - e.g. LUK, although aftermarket DMFs can be difficult to find as aftermarket on some models. Keep your fingers crossed it’s not a main-dealer-only part on yours. 

Hi Gareth

Thanks for your reply while gearbox is out may as well do everything 

I’m really surprised i didnt get any warning signs whatsoever it pulled well in all gears, gear change was always smooth and quiet still it is what it is just got to get on with it now

Hello all

A quick update on my clattering sound when taking foot off clutch

taken the gearbox out my mechanic and i checked the clutch release bearing etc all of them in good working order 

Spinning the gearbox shaft and there was the noise i experienced when taking my foot off the clutch  oh dear

my mechanic/friend said i need a new gearbox 

i know the part number etc for my gearbox is 0AJ 301 103 B code LNY (see pic please to make sure ive read it right)

so my next question is does anyone know of a good place to get a replacement gearbox from?

Thanks in advance 

AB390C79-501F-4945-840B-46B988DD823B.jpeg

On 5/11/2024 at 12:27 AM, cliffcoggin said:

It sounds like a broken spring in the dual mass flywheel.

Hi Cliff just to let you know on my car it’s not a dual mass flywheel it’s a single solid flywheel 

regards

3 hours ago, Davegoorn said:

Hi Cliff just to let you know on my car it’s not a dual mass flywheel it’s a single solid flywheel 

regards

It is a pity the problem is not the flywheel because flywheels are cheaper than gearboxes to replace. A new gearbox is going to be horrendously expensive, while a secondhand box is going to be a lottery in terms of condition. I suggest you look for a company to restore your existing gearbox. It's been decades since I had a gearbox rebuilt so I don't know of a company to point you to, but a quick internet search revealed several in the UK.

21 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

It is a pity the problem is not the flywheel because flywheels are cheaper than gearboxes to replace. A new gearbox is going to be horrendously expensive, while a secondhand box is going to be a lottery in terms of condition. I suggest you look for a company to restore your existing gearbox. It's been decades since I had a gearbox rebuilt so I don't know of a company to point you to, but a quick internet search revealed several in the UK.

Agrees Cliff

i may have found a replacement remanufactured box checked part numbers stamped on housing its 0AJ 301 103 only difference is the final letter on his is an A mine is a B do you know if there compatible

thanks again  

Hello David,

To my logic, the suffix A denotes an earlier version of your later B, so possibly from a pre 2009. Significance?? 
If it remanufactured as opposed to just ‘secondhand’, then the remanufacturer  will/ should have the experience to answer any questions about specific differences. Have you asked, and have you had a reply? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 5/15/2024 at 9:04 AM, Magnet said:

Hello David,

To my logic, the suffix A denotes an earlier version of your later B, so possibly from a pre 2009. Significance?? 
If it remanufactured as opposed to just ‘secondhand’, then the remanufacturer  will/ should have the experience to answer any questions about specific differences. Have you asked, and have you had a reply? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

i agree with your logic 

as for finding a replacement gearbox i have now found one and its local to me

the guy i was messaging was a complete waste of time and had little to no knowledge of the type of box i needed

hopefully my car will be back on the road sometime next week

oh the joys of Audi ownership

thanks again all  

• Like 1

Hello David,

Fingers crossed all will be well. Perhaps you can update us once the job has been finished.

Kind regards,

Gareth.