Newbie hello and cry for help!!!

horsesuitedfool

Hi all, bought a Q7 3 litre tdi a couple months ago and it has a couple issues that are baffling me!! Appreciate any help or pointers from you guys with q7, I only had one audi before which was a TT.

The main issue the car has is that whenever I drive through a large puddle or standing water or even a river recently the power steering fails as soon as the tyres hit the water. When I look in the engine bay I see a central under tray approx width of front grill but either side of this by the wheels I just see the road. So it's clear the water is hitting the drive belt causing pas failure briefly. I been to audi and some techs say it should have other under trays yet parts department say there are none others listed. Then I looked under an identical model to mine in car park and it looks same as mine. I can't believe that my audi 4x4 is incapable of going through puddles but I can't seem to solve it....? Anyone able to say if their q7 has this issue or any more under trays??

Also when I turn hard right from standstill and accelerate away I get loud clicking from left wheel, any ideas? I'm guessing cv joint....

Other than these issues I'm loving the car and it has great spec with pan roof, full extended leather, s line, heated seats, bi xenons, full nav mmi. Any help much appreciated!!!

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

Good choice of car  :rolleyes:

I'll pop the bonnet on my car and see what covers are under the engine bay.

Yes, it's same colour as yours I think too, or very similar...! Quick update as think I might have found the issue....it has rained all night and day and so I got in the car earlier to go out and I had hardly any pas for a couple miles of driving and a noisy drive belt. Then once warmed up it was all ok again. So I figured the belt was prime suspect, when I looked closely I noticed the belt didn't look right, it goes over the top of the little black wheel just above the pas pulley wheel. I found a pic of another 3.0 tdi on google and as I suspected its meant to feed under that wheel not over it, so this is causing much reduced grip on the pas pulley just below it.....Some idiot has put the belt on wrong that had car before me. So tomorrow new belt will be going on......! Thanks for replying...!

That does sound strange that a 4 wheel drive machine can't go through water. I'm thinking there's more to this but I've got to be honest in saying I'm not sure what.

Glen!

Yes im pretty sure that its down to the drive belt being incorrectly installed, having a new one fitted Thursday so will drive through a river and report back here with the results...!!

I have frequently seen drive belts routed to the wrong side of idler rollers, it sounds like that is your problem to me.  A clicking when accelerating on full lock defiantly sounds like a CV joint worn.

Tech