Q7 20" alloy wheel corrosion .... main dealer recompense?

muddylimitededition

Hi all ,

new to this forum as i have just bought a Q7 - 2008 limited edition with the off-road pack - very pleased with it, except the 20" alloy wheels are badly corroded.  Anyone else have/had this issue?

There is no curbing on the alloys .. just a corrosion of the diamond cut surface. 

I have owned 4x4's for the last 25 years and am used to the wheels getting a hammering (we live down a muddy lane) ... we had a Nissan Navara pick-up last year and we had the same problem with the alloys - i looked on a navara forum and found i was not alone - then found out that nissan had received lots of complaints about the wheels and were offering free replacements/upgrades - i immediately took my truck to the nissan main dealer and drove away with 4 shiny new alloys ....  

I am not expecting audi to wholesale replace all Q7 alloys that have corrosion, but if there are significant numbers of people that have the same problem, then surely the main dealer that looks after a vehicle that is outside of standard warranty should be receptive to help in some way under the paint/finish anti-corrosion warranty?

anyone else agree/disagree/have any thoughts on the matter?

can add photos if anyone is interested.

thanks

Luke

The key phrase here is "Diamond cut".  The alloy surface is polished to a mirror finish then given several coats of clear lacquer.  The effect is stunning, but not hard wearing.  The mirror finish gives the lacquer nothing as a "key" to adhere to, so that it is easily chipped off by stone impacts and by tyre fitters replacing the tyres. Painted alloys are not polished as finely, so their surface has a "key" to enable the paint to cling more effectively.  In addition, lacquer is more brittle than paint.

This is why alloy wheel refurbishers will give you a 12-month warranty on painted alloys, but only 6 months on alloys with a diamond cut finish.

I had diamond cut alloys on my last motor, a Mondeo Titanium X, and settled for a painted finish because so many Mondeo ST drivers had trouble with corroded diamond-cut alloys.

So I guess that Audi might replace or refurbish them for you once, but they will cause an ongoing problem for you and for Audi.  My advice is to get them painted or powder coated and remove the source of the problem.

Hi all ,

new to this forum as i have just bought a Q7 - 2008 limited edition with the off-road pack - very pleased with it, except the 20" alloy wheels are badly corroded.  Anyone else have/had this issue?

There is no curbing on the alloys .. just a corrosion of the diamond cut surface. 

I have owned 4x4's for the last 25 years and am used to the wheels getting a hammering (we live down a muddy lane) ... we had a Nissan Navara pick-up last year and we had the same problem with the alloys - i looked on a navara forum and found i was not alone - then found out that nissan had received lots of complaints about the wheels and were offering free replacements/upgrades - i immediately took my truck to the nissan main dealer and drove away with 4 shiny new alloys ....  

I am not expecting audi to wholesale replace all Q7 alloys that have corrosion, but if there are significant numbers of people that have the same problem, then surely the main dealer that looks after a vehicle that is outside of standard warranty should be receptive to help in some way under the paint/finish anti-corrosion warranty?

anyone else agree/disagree/have any thoughts on the matter?

can add photos if anyone is interested.

thanks

Luke

You live close to one of if not the best companies in the country.

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/

Who are next to Lepsons go to KDS for advise and get your wheels sealed after they are refurbished  and maybe have a look at a set for the winter.

http://www.lepsons.com/

thanks pod gas ...

yes, have used lepsons before - they are good, but expensive - approx £600 for the diamond cut refurb ... and it takes 3 days...  less for the standard paint but still a lot of money.

i will see what the mobile guy quotes me as the corrosion is not extensive and may not require a full respray ... and will post some shots as discussed

another question - unrelated, but if you can point me in the right direction?  economy chip .. i want to get a plug-in chip to boost the economy (not interested in extra power) .. any recommendations ?  i put a simple £75 one on my nissan pathfinder last year and instantly got an extra 4mpg ... but i know the q7's are more complicated ... any advice would be appreciated .. thanks