Advice needed - Orange A3/DVLA confusion

Temperley

Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise me?  I'm looking at buying a used "Limited Edition" A3.  It's a relatively new company dealing in second hand cars, the A3 I'm interested in is Orange (not a standard colour)  The company says it's a limited edition colour, but I ran the number plate through the DVLA and it says the car is BLACK.  The company say that on the limited edition colours Audi say they are all black. Has anyone heard of this?  Here is the advert, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!  http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302175377503/sort/default/usedcars/colour/orange/model/a3/make/audi/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/100/postcode/cm74ay?logcode=p

The advert says "Paint alone was 2500", which suggests that the owner has had it repainted.

Would your local Audi dealership be able to look up the registration and tell you the original colour?  Or go and have a look at the car.  Check the colour of the paintwork inside the engine bay, like the inner wings.  Look for overspray of orange paint on parts that should not be orange, like the air filter box.

hmm sounds like a repaint.. but i am also sure it is against the law to not report to the DVLA that the car is now orange, because average speed cameras use the cars colour as part of its identification process.

I wouldnt touch it personally, but if you are willing toput the time in to it it could be a nice car with a nice colour paintjob