Clutch biting point too low

Bald Eagle

The biting point of my car's clutch is much nearer the floor than most cars I have driven.  is this normal for the 2 litre petrol?  If not, does anyone have any idea what may be causing it?  I would think it's either a cable clutch that needs adjusting, or a hydraulic clutch that needs bleeding, but does anyone know for sure?

Also, when it's very cold, the gearchange crunches unless I change gear quite carefully.  This could be because the clutch is not fully disengaging, due to the biting point being too low.  Or it could be normal for a cold VAG gearbox.  Any advice please!

Many thanks in advance.

It sounds like air is being induced into the hydraulic clutch release system, possibly through a faulty slave cylinder.  Does it feel any better temporarily if you pump the clutch pedal a few times in neutral before you set off on a morning?

Tech

Hi Tech,

I've tried pumping the clutch on two early morning cold starts, and it makes no difference.  I still crunch the gears changing up to 2nd & 3rd if I don't move the lever slowly when the gearbox is cold.  Once warm, there is no problem.  It's been into the Audi workshop and they could find nothing wrong.  I guess I'll just have to take changes slowly for the first half mile.  I may be imagining things, but the biting point seems a little higher since it came back from Audi, although they said they only tested it.  Maybe I'm just getting used to it.  What a mystery!