chipped or re mapping???

cloche

hi all, im looking for a little advise, i own a  b7 rs4 06 plate with 65000 miles on it, its totally standard (engine wise) 420bhp, what benefits would i get out of remapping it? ie, extra bhp? fuel consumption etc, or would i be aswell getting it chipped, not keen on spending a small fortune if im not gaining much,so thats why im asking you guys for your help, i look forward to hearing from you all thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would say re-mapping is better as the actual map is changed and there are no physical modifications to the car. Chipping is where the 'chip' is physically added to the car in line to change the parameters that way so I would re-mapping is the proper and more professional way of doing it (providing you use a quality map from a reputable company of course!)

Yes, those tuning boxes that people add into the wiring can be quite hit and miss.  You are stuck with a selection of about 5 or 6 settings, of which one will be close to optimum for an engine similar to yours.  An example is the Tunit V-CR

You can have a custom remap done by someone who reprograms the map in your ECU via a laptop or similar system.  The advantage here is that they can do minor adjustments to suit your individual engine, if they really know what they are doing.  The disadvantage is they can really screw things up if they don't...  Also, you have to go back to them to get the original map restored.  If they've gone out of business that can be a bit tricky.  An example of this is DreamScience.

You can have a "standard" remap in a handset that you plug into the diagnostic port of your car and it swaps the map in its memory with the map in your ECU.  The advantage here is that you can swap them back again any time you want.  If the new map gives you problems or is not as powerful as you wanted, you can plug the handset into your PC and email them a copy of your original map. They can build a stronger map based on that then email it back to you.  You can then swap the newer map into your ECU and still keep copies of the original map and the first upgrade. An example of this is the Bluefin handset made by Superchips.  DreamScience used to do handsets as well, but then they stopped producing them.

Yep, I had Bluefin on my last motor, a Mondeo 2.2 turbo diesel.  It was quite lively without the remap, but completely transformed with it.

Although you've got and RS4 with 420 bhp.  Why on earth would you want more power?

And if you're interested in fuel economy, why on earth did you buy an RS4?

• Like 3

• 8 months later...