Stop/Start System Problems

CHIPPO

Recently taken delivery of an A4 tecknik , and despite a reasonable test drive finding the car easy to drive reasonably comfortable although a tad front heavy and a bit of understeer. I chose it much to my surpirse over a BMW 320 ED. 

But I am begining to regret the choice!

The electrical parking brake is a Gimmick to over come a problem that must only be in the minds of Audi, its bad, to slow to respond and late in disengaging, with of course no driver feel or input, result often lurching starts as the brake are still on as power is applied to the drive train. Or is it only for Miss Diasy's driver and limp wrists ?

The stop start system , well it often fails to re-start the engine , taking several goes, and on occasion turning the engine over but the engine failing to start, leaving one in at least an embarresing situation getting beeped, but at worst in decidly dangerous situations , like this morning i the middle of a roundabout. When this situation occurs one has to restart manually. 

Now Audi Stansted have said to date , no faults logged , they now have the car agian but i suspect there will not be a cure.

I see elsewhere these problems seem to have some history, albeit not common. 

The A4 S line i had as loan car didnt seem to know what to do with its self stoppig starting every couple of secounds 

The A5 I now have on loan , seems to have the same issues as mine.

I see Car magazine , reported  "KIA TOYOTA AUDI if you cant make it work like BMW , don't !Removed! bother " but why should I turn it off , the car is not cheap end , and it should work, its certianly works perfectly on my wifes Honda Jaz , first time every time, and on that basis I presumed an up market German would to , but its seems not

I totally agree - I have a Q5 TDI s-tronic, and the concept of the stop/start with s-tronic is even worse, as the engine stops as soon as you halt and apply any pressure to the brake pedal.  I over ride the system with the switch every time I fire up the engine

Another thing that annoys me on the Q5 is you cannot open the drivers door without the engine switching off, and with the winter coming up this is a pain if you want to start up and let the car tick over to let it de-ice.  I have still to confirm, but I think if you have the stop/start over ride switch depressed the engine keeps going if you open the door

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have similar problems with stop start. When you stop briefly for example at a red light, in a roundabout or pedestrian crossing the engine cuts out (as you would expect). But when you want to set off again the engine either doesn't start at all or is struggling to "come alive" again. The problem is very much intermittent and only seems to occur during the first 1-2 miles after which it seems to work fine. The only way I have found to resolve it is by turning the car off completely and restarting the car. This only takes 10 seconds but is embarrasing and not a great experience when you are stuck in heavy traffic.

It has, so far, taken me almost 2 years of taking the car to the Audi garage. Every time they tell me the car is fine and hasn't logged any problems. I have escalated it to Audi UK who has recently told me that this "expected" behaviour and that unless the engine is warmed up can happen and is not a fault. I have asked to get this in writing because I don't think that this should be the case. They do not yet want to state this officially and unless I can reproduce the fault does not know how to do anything about it.

Do either of you know if this a common problem and if so know how to get it fixed?

Thor , good luck , the complete shower known as Audi refuse to do anything about it , they are in total denial .

Because there next to useless diagnostic system fails to log events only faults it see no problem , Audi have zero ability to do any old fashioned fault finding and are not willing to change parts on spec .

So I am left as an extremely dissatisfied customer who will never darken their doors again . They have virtually called me a liar , and also said they would firmly resist any attempt to reject the car , they refuse to accept there is even a safety issue with the problem .

They will not fit a data logger to the OBD slot as they do not use them , they will not accept video evidence of the problem , they will not accept evidence of passengers , the only evidence they are prepared to accept is one of their minions is a witness !

Their only offer to date was to pick up the tab from and AA or RAC inspection if they were able to trace the fault , but it was to be at my risk in the first instance .

This place is like a morgue and I suspect full of Audi employees and acolytes who do not like any criticism of the Audi brand or products , you can see this from the dates on this post , piston heads Audi forum is marginally better .

I am and will continue to be the worst advert ever for Audi , although watchdog on the BBC tried and failed it seems. But do look at the various reliability surveys out there , very interesting and poor reading for Audi , the warranty is poor as well by current standards , which says it all really !