Buzz/Vibration/Rattle A3 nearside front

Guest dorset steve

Guest dorset steve

Hi all,

I have, after a long time, traced an annoying buzz/rattle/vibration that appears to come from the glovebox area on my 2012 A3 sportback. It was apparent especially on clutch take up on moving forwards.

Where the clutch pipe changes from metal tube to a hose, there is, obviously, a pipe union. This union vibrates against the chassis leg, you can't see it without dismantling, but you can just get your hand in from the n/s wheel arch and feel it. Because of access it's very difficult to rectify, so shove some foam rubber in behind the pipe, and hey presto! Peace. Could be of use to someone. 

Good solution!

Mine made a buzz from near the RHS face-level air vent at 2100 rpm especially when decelerating.  The dealership found it was two problems: a faulty clip on the turbo wastegate and a harmonic vibration in the fuel pipe.  They changed the clip and applied foam tape to the pipe and silence now reigns!  All under warranty too!

I also had a rattle from the top of each front door in warm weather.  The dealer stripped out the b-pillar trim and stopped the noise as a goodwill gesture, because the warranty does not cover trim.  After a few months it came back, only nearer the front of the doors.  I found a post on another Audi site recommending "Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift", meaning Rubber Care Stick.  You have to apply this stuff to the velvet part of the door seal - it worked a treat!

Guest dorset steve

It makes you wonder, doesn't? You think you're upgrading from VW to Audi, but I had a Golf MK5 GT TDI from new for seven years - I did not have a single thing go wrong. Even the wiper blades were never replaced!  

Too right!!!

You think you are paying the extra cash for a better car because they spend more on research & development and have a higher build quality, but you get:-

• Not one but two sources of vibration in the rev range used in normal driving, that the selling dealership (Nottingham) acknowledged on the test drive but did not fix in the week before the handover,
  • A "155-point used car check" that misses the fact that the nearside front tyre is a different brand from the other 3, is the wrong load index, and has an illegal repair in the sidewall,
  • Door seals that rattle unless you apply some weird "Gummi Pflege Stift" every month or two,
  • A Sat Nav that only accepts the first 5 characters of UK postcodes and does not include some 1950's roads in 2010 data,
  • A handbrake lever that is set up for left hand drive in a right hand drive car, so you have to reach over the armrest and clout the passenger's arm when you use it,
  • An armrest that gets in the way of the handbrake lever when it's down and rattles when it's up
  • A blower fan that doesn't want to clear the windscreen until the engine is supplying warm water to the heater,
  • No door pockets for rear passengers

My Mondeo had a few things go wrong over 5 years of ownership, but I expected a lot better from an Audi.  Although to be fair, my local dealership (Birmingham) have been absolute stars and fixed everything free of charge, including one or two things that are not covered by the used car warranty.  They also insist on either providing a courtesy car or giving me lifts from and to their site.  

So that's what we are paying for, a better level of service - as long as you bought from Audi.