Air Bag System Fault

SnizzDog

Hello,

I have an A3 2.0TDI (WAUZZZ8P05A099307)I'm having quite the problem with my AirBag system. This has become more of a problem since the car is out of date for it's MOT and is now SORN.

The History of the Fault

The fault started with the AirBag light coming on and off intermittently, this progressed and the light is now permanently on. This has been going on for about 2 years and has been permanently on for the last 10-12 months

What I have tried so far

1. I have checked a few things on the advice of others, the connections under the seats have been checked and the contacts cleaned. No damage was found and the fault did not go away
  2. I have taken it to an Audi dealer in the hope that they would be able to diagnose the fault. They first changed the passenger side front AirBag sensor (G284) This did not solve my problem
  3. On the advice from the dealer I then acquired a new control unit (the part numbers were identical, 8P0 959 655 D) I fitted the new unit and re-coded the replacement so that the software code matched that of the old one. This did not change the fault. (light still on with the same fault codes)

What I have at the moment

The air bag light is currently on. Interrogating the system reveals the following fault codes:

2 Faults Found:

01739 - Crash Sensor for Front Airbag; Pass. Side (G284)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON

01738 - Crash Sensor for Front Airbag; Drivers Side (G283)
011 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

The only other anomalies are that the Measurements page on the computer said the rear seat tensioner readings were "too high" These don't seem likely to cause the controller to throw out "front air bag sensor" faults but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I am at a total loss, hopefully someone has seen something similar before and it's getting mega expensive!!! Please heeeelp!!!!!!

John

The full diagnostic read out is attached in case anything else is relvant.

Log-A3-WAUZZZ8P05A099307-157370km-97785mi.txt

• 5 years later...

Hello?,

Since the original poster hasn’t returned to the forum since a week after he joined over 5 years ago, I think it’s unlikely that you will get any response from him via. your post.

Worth sending him a PM ??

Kind regards,

Gareth.