DMF and clutch replaced leaving feint thumping noise

Gingadee

Hi all - bought a 2012 A4 avant tdi 163ie a few weeks ago. Had a juddering clutch which I didn;t pick up on during the test drive. Still in warranty so Audi graciously agreed to replace clutch and flywheel.

This fixed clutch judder, but now (and I can't tell if this has developed since) there is a slight noise from when I press the clutch down all the way to releasing it. Sounds like a feint thumping, but really not very loud? Setting off in 1st it is louder, but as I say it is not there when driving and clutch is disengaged. Audi took it back and they said it might be a clutch fork slightly out, so they replaced the clutch, again. Got it back after the were supposed to have check it, noise is still there.

Any idea? I obviously suspect it is the flywheel, but surely a new one would not have issues like this? Could it be anything else? Or am I just going to have to take it back and suggest they yet again replace the flywheel?

Thanks in advance!

I have heard of various issues with clutches/flywheels not lasting a decent amount of time on an A4 but this is odd for a new one.

Ultimately though, if it's still not right you should take it back. Perhaps ask to drive another similar car as a comparison if they have one and take a technician. Plus take a technician for a ride in your car to make sure they are properly aware of the fault you are talking about. I imagine it probably feels like you are being a pain but if you don't get it sorted then I expect it will really irritate you and you won't enjoy the car.

thanks for the reply, yes they have already used language like 'well of course if you are looking for problems then you will always find them no matter how small they may be' which makes me feel like I'm being awkward, but I agree that it will spoil the car for me, I have had a drive in other dmf fitted VW's and Audi's and none have this sound when depressing the clutch. I guess I just wondered if they were looking in the wrong place now that the flywheel has been replaced already?

Is there anything else it could be? They should be the experts here, but I was wondering if it could be a mount, clutch slave cylinder or release bearing (which should have been replaced with the clutch?)...or something else? Just don't want this to turn into one of those problems which taks weeks to diagnose ;-0

Cheers!

thanks for the reply, yes they have already used language like 'well of course if you are looking for problems then you will always find them no matter how small they may be' which makes me feel like I'm being awkward, but I agree that it will spoil the car for me, I have had a drive in other dmf fitted VW's and Audi's and none have this sound when depressing the clutch. I guess I just wondered if they were looking in the wrong place now that the flywheel has been replaced already?

Is there anything else it could be? They should be the experts here, but I was wondering if it could be a mount, clutch slave cylinder or release bearing (which should have been replaced with the clutch?)...or something else? Just don't want this to turn into one of those problems which taks weeks to diagnose ;-0

Cheers!

I would have thought that the slave cylinder and release bearing would have been changed at the same time. Might be worth an ask?

• 9 months later...