Entering destination in MMI Navigation

Pauladev

New to the MMI Navigation system, and I am finding it not very useful in entering destinations compared to my £100 TomTom. The post code entry only goes to the first 4 or 5 digits (strange). Special destinations are fairly erratic, and worst of all I cannot find a way of entering the destination in Latitude and Longitude coordinates. This is strange, because the current position is given in Lat and Long, though there doesn't appear to be a way to change the units to a more common useable form, ie DD MM.MMM.

Have I missed something or is this a known failing?

Having at last got a car with a built in navigation system with a nice size screen, I find that it is ridiculously expensive to update the maps, and not user friendly for navigating to places that you don't know already.

The music and telephony are impressive, but for me, I have to stick my TomTom on the dashboard to go anywhere new. Plus as mine is an ancient 3 years old there is no touchscreen, just an extremely inefficient selection method.

Paul, it's fairly well known the many car manufacturer's built in offerings are often not as user friendly as cheap after market systems. Sadly it's been that way for years although it does appear that some are slowly managing to catch up particularly by partnering with technology companies like Apple and Google with Carplay and Android Auto.

The expensive updates are also part of this unfortunately. Normally I wouldn't suggest updating every year unless you use it heavily as the cost will outweigh the small benefit. Normally every 2 - 3 years would be fine and you will get much more in the way of changes.

Aside from what you have pointed out, it shouldn't be that difficult to input a new destination?

With the drawbacks you have pointed out, it's easy to see why people still opt to use a standalone TomTom or Garmin etc but many people including myself still prefer the benefits of using the built in display rather than having something mounted on the dash/windscreen, plus it integrates with the audio system for spoken instructions which is quite nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

i had no problem entering the post code twice so far only

both times i was nvigated to the exact spot

Well I am glad the 2014 system has no problem. It remains that the system installed in my 2011 car can only take the first 4 digits of a post code, which is inadequate and I doubt that an update in the mapping will cure that.

For me the crucial thing is that I cant enter lat and long, in any format, which should be a basic function. If you travel on the continent a lot, you find that many hotels, whose street addresses are mainly for the postman, show their exact coordinates on their websites, on Booking.com and Trip Advisor. 

I guess this is why I use the big fancy inbuilt screen and system for showing me what is on the music player, and a TomTom Go 50 for navigation.

• 10 months later...