2003 A4 with dead CVT noob needs advice!

Philster

I recently purchased a 2003 A4 1.8T as a project. Having just completed restoration of a Porsche 944 I was looking for a good winter project and jumped on a "good" deal paying $500 for the Audi. I would not have made this move had I done proper research ahead of time, but here I am. Replacement transmissions are pretty pricey and difficult to locate. I do a lot of my own wrenching but a tranny swap is more than I want to do myself as I don't have a lift. I see my options so far as such:

1. Part out the car I have and get my money back.

2. Bite the bullet and get 3-4 grand deeper in the car risking other unknown problems.

3. Find another car with a blown engine and put my engine in it.

I have located a 99 a4 Quattro with a bad head gasket that I can pick up reasonably. If I go that route how many parts from my 2003 will I be able to use on the 99? Any help would be greatly appreciated from those of you who are in the know. Thanks in advance!

Personally as much as I hate to say it....

If it were me I'd be putting the car back up for sale as is. If you're only $500 in and you have a good chance at getting it back then that seems like a sensible bet.

Once you've got shot you can go and find another project that's a bit more in your comfort zone  :)