A3 courtesy car whilst my A4 is at the dealers

Steve Rogers

My 2020 face-lift A4 Avant 35 TDI Technik has gone in today to sort out the paint issue I wasn't happy with when I bought it. 

The courtesy car is a brand new A3 35 TDI S-Line. Slightly down on power and torque but being top spec, it has some features such as blue mood lighting, Audi symbol projection from the bottom of the doors and those fancy adaptive headlights that dip just in key areas such as oncoming cars.

It did have less features than my A4 in other areas though, such as 2 zone rather than 3 zone climate control, manual tailgate and no hill hold. 

The 2 biggest drawbacks for me was the step down in refinement, with noticeably more wind and road noise, and the hard suspension. Very fidgety and harsh over pot holes and other imperfections. 

Maybe it's an age thing and my dodgy spine. Once upon a time, the S-Line would have been my cup of tea but these days the creature comforts of my car is more my thing. 

Lovely motor but looking forward to getting my A4 back. 👍

• Like 1

Back in 2019 I test drove a second-hand A3 and an A4 Sport back to back and I immediately noticed the difference in road noise and ride quality between the two cars.  The A3 was the Sport model and although my wife has a second hand 2014 A3 convertible, the first owner had deselected the sport suspension when placing the order so her car doesn't ride too badly.  Needless to say I choose the A4 Sport model that has the "comfort dynamic" suspension and 70K miles later have not regretted it.

• Like 1

Well I've got my A4 back now and it feels like a Rolls Royce by comparison. The 19" wheels on the A3 didn't help and it was prone to tramlining. 

The paint is better now on the A4 so I'm just waiting for the valeter to be free to apply the ceramic coating for me. 

Thanks for confirming my view. The current A3 is definitely a step down in refinement, which I wasn't expecting. I have an A4 Allroad 2020 and it's a much better car, not a lot different in price; I also have a 58 reg A4 convertible and it's a lot quieter re road and tyre noise, and although it's sport suspension it rides better too.

I think Audi are mad not to make the more expensive A3s more refined, instead they have skimped on noise insulation and made pathetic savings on features just to keep the weight and cost down. 

• Thanks 1

In fairness the petrol engine in my A3 (1400 cc turbo charged) is very quiet, you can hardly hear it when it kicks in, it is road/tyre noise which spoils the car. As a hybrid it's excellent, I'm just very disappointed overall as I've been an Audi fan for years. I'm even vaguely thinking of other brands hybrids, if I can get the enthusiasm together...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

In terms of refinement, do folks think part of the difference is the suspension set up on the S-Line? like on the A5 which lowers with SLine.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:22 PM, icstm said:

In terms of refinement, do folks think part of the difference is the suspension set up on the S-Line? like on the A5 which lowers with SLine.

Could well be. Plus the fact the A4 is bigger will keep it more planted. 

• 3 weeks later...

My A5 S-line is firm, but comfortable. On poor roads with potholes you feel it, but it rides speed bumps at pace and with absorption.