buying a vag unit

Markbelfast

Hi all new to the forum so apologies if I break any etiquette. Wife and I both have audis, hers is a 2008 TT. The TT has a couple of warning lights on dash. I have limited technical ability and a garage would have to do any repairs. My question is would anyone recommend a value vag unit and how easy are they to use and understand? Id just like to know myself what faults are so as I am not conned .Ive been burned by one garage charging me multiple times for them using theirs and im pretty cautious now.

Thanks

Hi all new to the forum so apologies if I break any etiquette. Wife and I both have audis, hers is a 2008 TT. The TT has a couple of warning lights on dash. I have limited technical ability and a garage would have to do any repairs. My question is would anyone recommend a value vag unit and how easy are they to use and understand? Id just like to know myself what faults are so as I am not conned .Ive been burned by one garage charging me multiple times for them using theirs and im pretty cautious now.

Thanks

VAGCOM is generally considered the best option although this can be pricey to get started with. Possibly worth having if you're always going to stick with VAG cars though.

The other option would be to look at a cheap generic code reader that is compatible with VAG cars. These will generally allow you to read and reset fault codes but nothing more complex than that - unlike VAGCOM where you can alter settings on the car and re-code parts etc.