Newbie 3.2 V6 advice

Whodafunk

Hi everyone...

I'm looking at a 2004 A3 3.2 V6 DSG Quattro this weekend with relatively low miles (around 60k).

Are these engines on a timing chain and am I right in saying it's the tensioner that causes problems and not the chain. Do they make a noise when cold if there's a problem?

Also what's the DSG box like, is it reliable?

Any other help for when I go to look at it would be great, and info on likely service costs etc.

Thanks

It is a chain cam that's supposed to be lifetime although it can stretch sometimes I believe.

The DSG box is nice to use but can occasionally cause problems.

Personally I love the limited Quattro Sport model but these are getting expensive these days!

It's not the V6 it's a 1.8T but tuned up by Quattro GmbH to produce 240bhp. It's also 75kg lighter and came with only 2 seats but proper buckets. It also has a few other tasty extras too. Audi only made 800 of them so they're quite rare and prices are strong. Here's an example of one on Auto Trader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510047495283?postcode=bh236nx&page=1&make=audi&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&price-to=10000&sort=pricedesc&radius=1500&search-target=usedcars&keywords=quattro%20sport&zero-to-60=fast&engine-size-cars=1-7l_to_1-9l&model=tt&logcode=p

Still has the V6 bodytkit but this is a little faster.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508296459658

It was this one, but it's got a rattling timing chain so I walked away. The guy played dumb like he didn't know but it was pretty obvious on the left bank, or right side as you look from the front

Probably best to be honest if you spot something like that. Looked nice though, but plenty more cars out there. Spotted anything else worth taking a look at yet?

Cheers for the link, James. Looks good but it's about 200 miles away from me so not ideal.

I've been looking at the 2.0 TFSI now to widen my options. Test drove a 2005 Quattro model today which was very nice. Not got the same sound as the V6 but still quick. What is this like to service and maintain, any known problems?

It's had the timing belt done at Audi in 2013. It's now at 45k miles but it's nearly 7k and they wouldn't budge on price. Seems alot of money for a ten year old car IMO, what you think?

Got a link to it?

The 2.0 TFSI is a nice engine and personally would probably be my pick of the A3s thanks to similar performance to the V6 in higher powered versions and much better running costs. They're also easily tune-able where the V6 is not. Agreed they don't sound anywhere near as nice though :(  

Hi I just picked up an 05 3.2 with FSH one owner from new. I love it I have an XKR and wanted something to get the Dog into etc and this is a perfect fit. Love the engine its a cracker and so responsive. I think if you want a good one you have to be prepared to travel I had a 250 mile round trip for mine but it was definitely worth it

Hi I just picked up an 05 3.2 with FSH one owner from new. I love it I have an XKR and wanted something to get the Dog into etc and this is a perfect fit. Love the engine its a cracker and so responsive. I think if you want a good one you have to be prepared to travel I had a 250 mile round trip for mine but it was definitely worth it

I must admit I'm usually happy to travel to get the perfect car I'm looking for. I once made a 425 mile round trip for a car  :D

Don't wish to let the cat out of the bag yet, but I've found one I may well be buying this weekend. Low miles, fsh and one owner from new. I shall report back if I get it and will upload some pics etc. Thanks everyone for your help... Looking forward to Quattro ownership :)

Mine actually came from just outside Huddersfield Richard. Good luck hope it turns out well.

My first Audi goes back to a !00 estate think it was a 90 or 91 with a 2.3 engine it was huge but so well built and reliable.

Don't wish to let the cat out of the bag yet, but I've found one I may well be buying this weekend. Low miles, fsh and one owner from new. I shall report back if I get it and will upload some pics etc. Thanks everyone for your help... Looking forward to Quattro ownership :)

Sounds good, hope all goes well! Looking forward to seeing some pics  :)

I'm glad you said that as that's what I thought. I was starting to think it was a characteristic of the engine.

Does this happen thru poor maintenance and lack of oil changes or just age? It's starting to put me off the car at the moment.