Starting probs!!!

joykiller

2003 a3 2.0 fsi

wouldnt start last week,just had new timing chain and cam pos sensor fitted,starts o.k now but idle tickover is so low and lumpy it cuts out in traffic ie, when stopping at traffic lights e.t.c...

Had more work done,timing chain was out by half a tooth,also had a oil service 

Now starts fine cold and ticks over perfect, but now struggles to start when warm and oil warning light comes on even though its had a new filter and oil!!

Pulling my hair out,any ideas folks?

Edited by joykiller
Incorrect information

Personally I would go straight back to the garage if all was fine up until you went in? They should have diagnostic equipment to be able to look at and reset the codes too.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil ight means low oil level or low oil pressure. It's dangerous!

Check the oil level.

WIthin one minute of me getting my car back after an oil and filter change, my oil light came on. I went back immediately, They had put in a measured amount of oil in instead of filling to the dipstick mark, and it was 3 litres less than my car needs! Duhhh!!

Sounds like you are back to the original problem.

And half a tooth out on the timing chain is impossible. The camshaft pulleys and crank pulleys are all keyed. One whole tooth is the smallest unit of toothses! They are all whole toothses! Not a single half toothsie anywhere in any engine, unless it's broke! lol

As James advises, don't guess, go back. Next time to go someone who knows MUCH more about stripping and fixing engines, it doesn't have to be an Audi mechie.

Its now at audi Nottingham 

They said they would start by setting the timing e.t.c... up from scratch and try and figure out what's going on

I seriously don't think its anything major but baffled as to why the oil pressure warning flashes up if i travel further than 4 miles,odd.

Will post any news

#update #

Turns out all the idle rollers e.t.c....

Are lose/worn and need replacing as does the cambelt and water pump

All of the above is preventing the timing from running in sync

Further news!

I am now told by audi that the camshaft timing chain adjuster is shot!! 

The result of this is that the inlet cam is out of sync with the exhaust cam

How can all these components fail at the same time? 

Needless to say i will be buying bmw again from now on, had 10 years trouble free with them

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with your Audi -  I think sometimes you just get unlucky. I've had friends with both BMWs and Audis who've had cars that have had no issues what so ever, and some that have had problems with both cars. Sometimes just luck of the draw I guess.

Are you fixing it up and selling it one then?

Well,if it really is fixed after this and it doesnt cost mega bucks for a new adjuster,I'll be keeping as it should run as good as new!!! (fingers crossed) 

Still not heard from audi yet tho

• 2 weeks later...