Advice required

When should toothed belt be changed on a 13 plate A4 Avant please?

Also front discs have 3 obvious score rings, despite new pads. Should discs be changed?

Rear windscreen has internal scuff marks that will not polish out. Heating elements a work fine.

I'm told these marks will show through if screen tinted. Any suggestions please?

Hi Brian, which belt are you talking about the timing belt?

Depends on how bad the scores are on the disks - any photos?

Also, take a photo of the rear screen. Ultimately it may be a case of replacing the screen if you're really not happy with it.

Brian if it's the timing belt you mean, the general guide is 5 years / 70,000-80,000 miles.

The car will also tell you when the next service is due.

Here are links to a couple of the handbooks (2007)  if you want them: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2009-a4-b8-avant-user-manual-pdf.203598/#post-2017432

If it's the auixiliary drive belt that you can see, then just inspect it, if it's dark and looks even coloured throughout and there are no broken teeth, and there are no whining noises from it or from its idler and tensioner pulleys, just check it once a month or so while you give the whole car a clean and once-over. If there is whining or it is dry or cracked or discoloured or the lettering on it is mostly faded away or its shiny then change it. I usually change mine every 3-4 years.

If the car has done more than 100,000 then have the tensionser and idler pulleys replaced too if you want to the car to be in top form.

Score marks on discs are not a problem unless they are more than say 1/2 mm deep, as long as the discs are not warped.

If the discs are warped you will feel vibration through the brake pedal when you are braking.

If they are deep scores then change the discs, if they are not then just change them next time you change the pads.

More important is engine oil and engine oil filter, and fuel filter and air filter, get those changed on time, the intervals are in your handbook.

And cabin air filters, people forget them and they reduce air flow and can also slow the fans and give you a musty smell.

If it's a car you're thinking to buy, find another one because those screen scratches are going to drive you nuts if they are easily visible, my Merc has several on one quarter pane and they let the car down.