brake servo

zacho93

Hi all.

I changed discs and 1 rear caliper and went to bleed system throught and the servo was making a sucking flapping sound?!?!

The brake fuild was rising as i pushed the brake and as the pedal came back up the fuild was bubbling? And no pressure under pedal just straight to the floor?

New servo ? Or is there something im missing?

Cheers

are you using a non return bleeding bottle, cheap enough at any motor factors, failing that get someone to give you a hand, nightmare of a job on your own, if someone is helping get them to push the pedal as you open the bleeding valve, when they get to the floor close the bleeding valve and let  them release the pedal, that way no air is being drawn back into the system, the suction sound you hear at the servo is probably the fluid filling into it, as the air comes through it, just keep an eye on the level when your bleeding as theres not a lot held in the reservoir and can be easy to let it drain in a couple of pushes on the brakes,

in addition make sure you start the car every now and again to let the servo run and do its job, 

Edited by Brucielee
addition with help

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate sorry for the late reply I've just bled the brakes exactly how you mentioned but the pedal still seems that little bit spongy like they go about 3/4 of the way down instead of to the floor like last time I will try again this weekend to make sure it's not just little bit of air somewhere thanks mate 

Just a wild one but while the car is switched off pump the brake pedal to see if it builds up pressure, then when or if the pressure is built, push the pedal while starting the car to see if the pressure goes down again, this'll tell you the servo is at least doing what it's meant too, 

Have you completely drained the system or only part of it when the part was replaced, 

Yeah that happens so I guess the servo is fine and i would of said about 1/2 to a litre come out ? After I bleed them for a 3rd time they gotten a lot better maybe just keep bleeding them to get the air out in the deep depths of the system? Cheers for reply

Cheers mate and no not really I love the way it sits and looks right now with its abt body kit only thing is its exhaust is got bit rusty so might change it to a rs4 or get a custom built one I'm not sure yet .

What's it going onto, model and engine, there's a couple of things you'd need to keep an eye on, size of the piping from yours to a rs4 pipe, rs4 pipe I would imagine is going to be a larger diameter than most, then there's the hangers for the exhaust make sure they are on both sides for the two boxes and the direction that it's taking underneath the car to make sure that the likes of the fuel tank placement and if it's not 4wd that the rear axle isn't set up differently, not putting you off but better to know that it's going to be a one out one in job without to much messing about with modifying if it needs it, had thought of it myself and still might, I'd need to get the rear bumper skirt changed so the exhausts can go straight rather than being hidden, 

I've got a 3.0 v6 so will come out the engine either side the same and kinda looks the same bends but I was researching last night about people who've done this and failed because the rear mufflers are so much bigger due to the spare wheel so I think that's to much cutting and welding for my liking.

Sounds like too much work I agree although you can buy the rs4 lookalike weld on exhaust tips which if you've already got the v6 and if it's anything like mine it sounds really good standard so the tips would just open up the end of the pipe a bit and look just as good, although you'd have to modify the rear skirt abit to fit them