Recoding remote. DIY?

Magnet

Hello,

We have the original two remotes which came with the  2006 A3 1.6 but one of them stopped working a couple of years ago. Done the obvious bit of replacing the battery, but this hasn't sorted it. 

Knowing that with some cars you can turn the defunct key to ingintion on about 5 times and then press lock or unlock and the key gets coded again. Tried this but again no joy.

Wondered if anyone knew if there is a DIY method of recoding this original and genuine remote.

Many thanks,

Magnet.

Thanks James. Tried this one and most variants of it without success! I very much appreciate you pointing me to this particular link and no personal criticism meant, but this one is not very well written (clearly). Others are specific as to which key goes in ignition etc.

i have had partial success with other links, since the remote will now start the car, so it is indeed useable as a second key. It won't remotely lock or unlock, but will of course manually lock/unlock, so is useable.

It's now a trip to the local long established car sales who I understand knows their way around these things, either by this sort of thing or by actual computer programmes.

Will keep you posted. Many thanks again.

Magnet.

• 2 weeks later...