Clutch - Flywheel

Reub-One

Hi A3 Owners forum,,

My 1st posting as I have never had any problems with my car which I have owned for 1 year. 

Its 3rd hand with 90 on the clock 10k of those I have done. 

I wanted to as anyone if they can give me an indicator or idea when you can tell if the Flywheel or Clutch needs changing.

Let me say that, in 1st the car some times finds it easy to shudder , and if someone who doesn't normally drive it can stall it too. 

Any ideas please let me know,  I think it needs both changing but I would like to find out what you all think

many thanks

Reuben

Hi Reuben, welcome to the A3 Forum

There are several signs to indicate that the clutch or flywheel are faulty and on their way out.

One of these is shuddering as you have already experienced but this could also be down to other factors not associated with the clutch.

Usually, pedal height, biting point, harshness felt through the pedal when engaging/disengaging the clutch, clattering noise when starting/switching off engine...all of which could be a problem in the future.

I would advise a reputable garage / experienced mechanic take the car for a drive to offer an opinion before spending money.

Let us know how you get on.

Best Regards,  Trevor - Admin