Audi A6 Avant SE 4.2 Quattro - Chains or belt

Hi

So I need a second car and apart from trying to find mirror insurance which is one challenge Ive found an A6 that I like, its a 2005 (55 plate) 170K miles with LPG fitted, Ive been reading up a little which is dangerous on some of the gotchas, I went to look on Saturday and it was throwing up hand brake failure as a warning but nothing else. Start on petrol then would flick over to LPG ok, couldnt test drive it to see what the box was like but wanted to ask what are the gotchas ? 

*Is it a belt or chain engine - it seems chain is expensive to replace - Ive asked the trader if they have been through all the paperwork and they said had and couldnt see anything that said anything had been done !!!

*Gearbox - Is that still rock solid at this mileage ? 

What else ? The price is 5K and like I say Im looking for a nice Audi estate that is high performance as Ill be using it on car runs and car events as lead car, but also need to carry furniture (don't ask)

Thanks for any advice or support on this.

Stewart

Hi Stewart...and welcome to the forum!

Regarding your query on the timing belt / chain...both types of camshaft drive mechanisms have issues if not replaced after covering high mileages or missing services. Its certainly worth investigating further or even spending out at the offset to replace before failure occurs!

I'm sure there are some members on here that could shine more light on reliability issues and what to look out for before buying.

Best Regards,   Trevor - Admin