Race Circuits of Europe

Trevor

Got a cool trip planned for this weekend with a Motor Racing theme, driving through the beautiful Belguim and German countryside.

Heading off to Nurburgring for the WEC 6 Hours but going through to Spa on the way for a quick look around and then on the way back taking in Reims (the derelict circuit from the golden era of motor racing).

Will post up piccies when I return.

Circuit Road Trip.jpg

Only managed to visit Nurburgring and Spa as there was lots of delays due to terrorist attacks in Germany at the weekend 

However, roads were amazing and totally empty...great roads for biking or throwing a sportscar around sweeping bends and switchbacks :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello mate,

Spa is going to be my next destination I think, what did you think of it? I drove over to Nurburgring last month and spent a couple of days pootling around the Nordschleife, what an amazing place! Really excellent fun!

Hi Andy

I absolutely love the Nurburgring as went to watch the WEC 6 Hours there...loads better than Le Mans, not corporate, sit where you want, beer was only 5 euro not 9 euro at Le Mans...would definitely go there again.

Spa...what can I say!  Probably my favourite circuit for all the reasons as Nurburgring but also a genuine grass-roots motorsport feel to the circuit. Loads of places to watch the action and if you're driving it....Look out for the turn at the top of Eau Rouge!  One word of warning...it's located in the Ardennes which is renowned for it's own microclimate..when we first went in May, might as well have been January...incredibly cold so take some warm gear.

Keep us posted with your exploits

Cheers  Trevor

Hi Trevor,

We saw some racing going on but only sneak peeks from the bridge leading into the main complex, Porsche racing, but the sound was lovely. We were really intrigued with the rollercoaster that seemingly loops around and goes THROUGH the inside of the complex with the shops/cafes etc?! 

Nurburg itself was very sleepy, we had a couple of decent beers and schnitzel in the Paddock Cafe which is just along the road from the GP circuit towards the Nordschleife. The atmosphere was nice, almost every conceivable nationality around, and a real buzz to the place. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip and experience though, the Eiffel forests around there are just stunning! Fortunately we got some decent weather on the Saturday with a nice dry track, the Sunday was gloomy and started to rain around midday so cut the day short for the drive back to Ghent.

Would certainly go again though, was my first ever 'track day' accepting that it wasn't actually a track day, and was a real thrill. The Audi worked nicely around the track, I'm not sure how it will perform on a smaller nippier track, ive got a A6 Avant 3.2 Quattro, and whilst it pulls nicely, it's not got the handling of a tight A4 etc.

Spa looks great though, and glad to hear that it's potentially an even better experience that Nurburg. Pricey though per lap it seems, but worth it for the experience, and again I'm sure the Ardenne is gorgeous and makes for a fantastic drive to/from Spa.

Overall I enjoy driving around Europe, we've driven to Spain a few times as a family, and just come back from south of France - not Paris though, that was a nightmare!

Cheers,

Andy

Was just reading an article about the rollercoaster (which I have to see looks very cool running through the building) and it said that the whole of that building was planned to be a theme park and the rollercoaster was to be the fastest one on the planet. It opened for four days and they went bankrupt.

So the new owners are looking to remove and scrap the rollercoaster and just concentrate on racing. I do believe they make good money with track days, etc and the same with Spa...whereas Le Mans don't really do much when there's no events on so they have to extract as much money from the punters when there is a race event on.

I'm sure you will love Spa, especially doing a track day event...keep us updated on it when you do go

Cheers   Trevor