Looking to buy but high mileage. Any tips?

derbyguy

Hi All,

I'm looking buy an A5 in the imminent future. Always loved them and think I can get a great car for the right price now. I'm looking specifically at an 2012 A5 3.0 TDI SE Sportback STronic Quattro.

This one in fact. It's incredibly well spec'd but has 85k on the clock.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605174021203/usedcars 

I'm hoping to get some thoughts from you all on what you think of buying one with such high mileage and what issues I could look for while test driving it.

I've spoken to the garage, theyve got full service history but only 3 services from Audi, the rest from http://newdustongarage.boschauto.co.uk/

At 81k it had a new clutch and flywheel and 2 new rear shocks. 87k it had a big service with gearbox oil change.

Other bits were sort of normal, brakes done and new tyres etc. It passed its first MOT with only a slight interior rattle in the notes.

It was a company car with 1 owner previous to this so those miles have clearly been going up and down motorways.

Obviously there are lower mileage cars around but not for that price with that spec.

If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciate. Hopefully soon to become an active member :)

Thanks all

Hi Paul....welcome to the Forum!

Firstly, I don't believe there is a problem buying a higher mileage car as long as the mileage is on the correct roads and traffic conditions (e.g. Motorway miles as opposed to School runs).

Ideally, it will have had regular servicing (usually before the allocated time) and not much adverse wear and tear....so usually a good purchase all round.

Let us know how it goes

Cheers,   Trevor

• 2 weeks later...