New Scottish Forum Member

Ecosse

Hello all.

Just a quick introduction.

I'm in the Mazda Mx5 forums and have been for ten years, owning both a Mk2.5, and a "proper" pop-up Mk1.

A bit of a petrolhead, I've owned some interesting stuff eg a Courteney Turbo Opel Monza, a Vulcan/Burton milled Capri Injection...but had to get sensible in my dotage so switched to Mazdas. If you can call that sensible, feel free!

However, our son aged 27 is on the hunt for a diesel A3 with a budget up to 6k. He's Armed Forces, and although he has driven most MOD monsters you can name, this will be his first own car. He needs something to whisk him up and down from Cattrick to Stirlingshire...with loads of washing I presume. Insurance is a joke of course, it's going to be around £6/700 as he's a noob and "they" see him as a little pimple squeezer in a beat up Corsa trying to visit the nearest tree. Or so it seems.

I've been boning up heavily on A3's I really "get them". I've discounted others eg Civic 2.2 oilers due to their unhealthy appetite for DSG's...as Golfs can be I'm told. I know the A3 is pretty much from the same family, together with many other VAG workhorses, so I'm not blind to no car being perfect, and have been told how to "test" these clutches prior to purchase. My lad is in and out of hot, sweaty dodgy places a lot (and I'm not referring to Milton Keynes or the London  Underground!)  and not really home often enough to do a proper search, so it's down to me.

God help me if I screw up, he's bigger 'n me and takes no prisoners. Then there's " The Look". He kinda just looks at me in a certain way if I crock-a-poo it up.

Worse than a boot in the soft bits that look. I think he gets it from me, so fair play.

I need to get this right..so.....

Any general comments & ad-hoc advice will be very welcome.

For what it's worth to anyone, here's our two Mazdas. Green one's mine, Blue one is SWMBOs.

I get the old nail, she gets the posh one...but that's life eh?

1244.JPG

DSCF5829.JPG

Looking forward to adding an Audi to the stable in a couple of months!

Cheers

Robin. 

Edited by Ecosse
spelling

Hi Robin...welcome to the Forum!

Lovely Mazda's...I have a Mk1 as well...superb little car and great fun!

As for the Audi,  I would definitely recommend one that has had proper servicing and 'pampered' over time. The A3 does have faults but they are all easily resolved and parts are cheap and plentiful. 

Let us know how you get on with your search.  Cheers,  Trevor

p.s. I love the Lotus badge on the Mk1 :yes: ....recently saw a nice Mk1 driving around in Elan colour scheme and Lotus decals, looked great