Taking the door card off

Karl1968

Hi all, I've recently purchased a 2003 A4, and the window cluster on the drivers door Isn't working properly , so brought a new one from eBay, thinking it would a few screws , but no Can't see an obvious way in, so thought best get some advice before hacking at it with my screwdriver, if anyone can tell me the best way to go about it without causing any damage, I'd be very grateful. In advance many thanks. Karl 

I had a window regulator wire break over a year ago, and had to somehow get the window back up on a rainy Sunday night which meant pulling off the door card in the dark!

There's some youtube vids out there that helped me at the time.

Don't know if there's a difference between 2003 and 2005 A4's, and not sure about access to the window switches, but If I remember correctly, on my car there was a screw at the mid/bottom of the door (careful not to break it, as it was quite tight). Pry off a plastic cover behind the arm rest/handle, there are two screws in there, pry off the long door trim starting from the front of door, there's screws behind that too. after that a bit of perseverence lifting the door card and prying (the videos made it look so easy), and you may well break some of the plastic retaining clips. I had to rustle up a pry bar out of a stiff  narrow scraper wrapped in duct tape! But you can get proper plastic trim removal tools. You might need to unclip the door release cable from the handle too, and also the speaker wires. Good luck!