North Coast 500

Edinburra

A friend and I are considering "doing" the Noth Coast 500 in the Spring of 2017. Has anybody out there done this trip and if so what are the do's and don't's on this drive? If you are unsure of what  the North Coast 500 is just Google it.

Wow!  Looks amazing scenery in the areas highlighted.

I would imagine though it is always only as nice as the weather at the time. When I have done a long run I have always gone south (from Dorset) but have always wondered what it would be like to tour Scotland.

Let us know how you progress with this trip...sounds very interesting!

Cheers  Trevor

I've been fortunate enough to have done what I consider the best part of the run twice, once in a Golf R and earlier this year a Z4.The first over 5 days the 2nd over 4 days. The routes were very similar starting from Durham- Fort William - Ullapool via Applecross ( great drive just a bit hairy in places), - Durness -tongue- Lairg- Bonar Bridge- Inverness- Elgin-Braemar- Blairgowrie . We followed the coastal routes as much as possible, the weather of course plays a big part it was June 2016 and we had 4 days of 75 degrees absolutely fantastic. One of the main concerns were midges but we never had any problem. There were 9 people in total in 5 Z4's so we booked accommodation before we left, this is something I would recommend as due to the 500 becoming so popular it could prove hard to find. Petrol is ok to find we just kept filling up whenever we could as each day totalled between 200- 250 miles approximately. Hope that has been of some help, enjoy the run as much as we did , and pray the weather gods are on your side.

Thanks for your report Dave....it's sounding more tempting the more I read about it.

It does sound like an amazing tour but as you say...dependant on the weather !

Cheers   Trevor