Air Con Pulley

grahamjf

Hi All

I am getting a rattle from the aircon pulley, phoned audi for a replacement £180
Don't really want to pay that kind of money as the air con dosn't work on the car any way. 

Is there any way around it? I was thinking of running a short drive belt but there is not a off the shelf belt for a non air con model.
Does anyone know of a belt that would fit?

Audi A4 B7 2.0tdi

You may be able to try a belt from another vehicle if you cut the old belt to the correct length and go to your local motor factors to match it up, even a new type stretch belt might work. It's got to be worth the time spent trying to go this route and bypass the air cond completely but not sure about the routeing and how you tension it sufficiently...trial and error I guess

Thanks for the reply.

Just had a new belt fitted so not that keen on cutting it up.

None of the car parts people round about me have belts on the shelf, they have to be ordered in.

What is a stretch belt and where do you get them?

Stretch belts are the new type of belt used where there is no tensioner and you feed it on over the pulleys....maybe useful if you are no longer able to tension the belt with the AC pulley missing. So would be a case of finding the nearest smaller size of belt to run round the pulleys, hence cutting an old belt to find the true size.

• 3 weeks later...

Went down the short belt route.
So now the belt only goes round the crankshaft pulley, powersteering and the alternator.
No more rattles from the Ac 

Gates 6pk1123 micro v belt.

Hope this helps some one else out if they need to bypass there Ac compressor till there pulleys fixed

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 20/11/2016 at 0:17 PM, grahamjf said:

Went down the short belt route.
So now the belt only goes round the crankshaft pulley, powersteering and the alternator.
No more rattles from the Ac 

Gates 6pk1123 micro v belt.

Hope this helps some one else out if they need to bypass there Ac compressor till there pulleys fixed

Sorry to resurrect and old post, I have signed up to thank the above poster for the information.  I have bypassed my aircon unit today until I get around to fixing it.

I couldn't get a Gates V belt same day so with some research I worked out the size and bought a belt from Euro Car Parts.  Their Make & Model was ContiTech Drive Belt - 202772125.

However all you actually need is a belt suited for a Audi 1.6 - 2006 - without aircon which is the correct size.