Wrong Coolant

Wee-Elf

Hi There,

I've been a dumb !Removed! and put the wrong Engine Coolant in my A3. 

I put about 400 - 500ml's of Halfords OAT Ready Mixed Antifreeze 2 Litres in instead of the correct stuff. 

Should I siphon it all out and put the correct stuff in or will it be ok?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Cheers,

Elle

What makes you think this is the wrong coolant? If your existing coolant was red OAT and not blue (which it shouldn't be in a modern car) then you are fine. Mixing brands isn't a problem. If you had genuine Audi coolant then it might have been lilac? I wouldn't think putting red coolant in with the genuine Audi stuff will cause any problems as both provide the same type of protection. A full coolant change should be done every 5 years or so anyway. If this hasn't been done then it should be done at your next service interval at which point try and stick to the same brand when topping up. Most important thing is that the ratio of coolant to water is correct to protect from rust and corrosion.

Dan

• Like 1

Hi Elle...welcome to the Forum

As Dmb10k has suggested, the coolant colour won't make any difference and as long as it is OAT and the right quantity then you shouldn't have any problem.

Cheers  Trevor