Electric Power Loss

Kev123456

Hi,

I have a 2008 Audi A6 - its had hardly any issues but this year, the electrics are starting to play up.

I recently had electrical power loss when driving in it.  I lose all power, so power steering goes and pressing on gas pedal does not generate power.  The main light I notice lighting on the dashboard is "Parking Brake Malfunction".  This problem seemed to reproducible if I start the engine and leave it running for 15-20 minutes.

I took it to the garage and they replaced the ignition switch and that seemed to fix it.  I've been driving it around for a week or so and no problems until the power loss occurred again yesterday.  I have to wait 30 seconds or so before I can start the engine again.  I don't even hear the starter motor when I turn the key.  Same symptoms as before.

Obviously the first fix was not the root cause, but it seemed to help a bit. Any ideas on what the problem could be? 

It certainly sounds temperature related (temperature will alter resistance of electrical circuits) so i would look for a major fuse (60 - 100 amp) or thermal link to start with.

Keep us informed of how you get on with this

Cheers  Trevor