Audi A3 1.9 tdi self service

Dantheman2010

Hi guys,
Happy new year to you all and hope the festive period has been a good one!
I am just looking for a little advice really, I am looking to try and change the oil/filter/fuel filter myself and I wondered if you guys had any tips before I go ahead? i.e what is the correct oil to use I believe it is fully synthetic but wanted to check the actual number for the car, it is a 2008 a3 1.9 tdi. and while I'm at it I have the what I believe to be common fault of the heaters only working on setting 4, is this the resistor pack behind the glove box that causes this?
Anyway all help will be much appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Dan

Hello Dan,

A happy and heathy new year to you and yours too Dan.

I'm sure others will offer advice with your service requirements, but I think it is a wise move to enquire about what is considered the best things to do.

For me, I tend to go with main dealer filters even though they may cost slightly more, and if you decide to go down that route, then I have bought such items from Skoda Parts Shop (no connection, and of course there are others ) who will ship out to you at discount prices. If price is to be king, then the only alternative aftermarket make I would use would be Mann. There are cheaper brands and I'm not saying any of them are not up to the mark, but I alway stick to the above and spend wisely , since you are saving on labour. I would also change the air filter and indeed the pollen/cabin filter. You could use a cheap brand of cabin filter since I tend to change these every year anyway, and its a non critical application.

Oil? always wise to consult the handbook, but you might find its fully synthetic 5w/40 (possibly 5/30?). VAG were recommending Quantum oil and it is available as a Longlife grade as well -  for longline service intervals. My idea is again to buy as competitively as possible and change more regularly than the schedule suggests. Money well spent in my book.  

Heater fan only working on higher speeds? As you say, most likely to be the resistors on the lower speed, most frequently used settings.

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Gareth.        

Hi Dan...welcome to the Forum

I totally agree with everything Magnet has said especially the need to use quality parts...it pays in the long run!

The heater fan only working on certain speeds is usually the resistor pack as suggested.

Cheers   Trevor