Rattling noise when cold on q7 tdi 2011

tjsingh

Hi 

I purchased a q7 3.0 TDi 2011 few months ago and recently noticed on startup until warm there is a rattling noise coming from under the front of the car it seems. It also makes like a whooshing noise but only happens once.

I have been looking around and found a post stating that it might be the cam chain tensioner. Some people it takes for the oil to go through hence why it happens

I have extended warranty so will need to take it to the independent garage but curious what it could be as it will be a few weeks until i can get it in

Any replies would be great

Regards

tjsingh

It seems like it could be something to do with oil circulation in which case it would be worth having the chains checked and/or replaced whilst it is still under warranty and before it turns into something  more serious.

Keep us updated as to how you get on with it all

Cheers   Trevor

I drove the car after a couple of days but rattling didnt happen when cold start. Drove around the block until engine warmed up a bit,. Parked up and left car running and heard rattling so opened bonnet but noticed noise more on the passenger side  front like somethings loose but then it stopped

Could this still be a timing issue? 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Did you solve this? I bought a 2011 Q7 at the beginning of January and after a few weeks it developed a rattly/clacking noise when cold, which was directly related to engine rpm. As the car was only a couple of thousand miles of needing a service I decided to wait... (I drive ~200 miles per day)

Turned out to be a snapped bolt on one of the injector rails, ended up stopped on the side of the motorway with smoke pouring out from the front of the car! nearly had a car fire, so worth getting it checked if you haven't yet!