Oil Change TIme, What oil is best.

LOTUSSEVEN

Good Folks,

I'm thinking of getting my oil changed at a local Kwik Fit or other garage.

I've got a 2010 A4 3.0 tdi quattro,

What oil is best for this model, and any advise is of course welcome, such as price I should be paying etc.

Thanks in advance.

Guest slee1977

I've used nothing but Castrol Edge 5w30 (507) for both my last car (A4 2.0 tdi) and current car TT 2.0 tdi. I last paid £40 for 5 ltrs at TPS.

I would agree with slee1977  Castrol Edge is superb as well as Mobil 1 .... both cost a lot more than a standard oil but you are getting quality and if you want your engine to last for many years then its worth the investment.

Hello Dave,

I would guess Castrol Edge 5w/30 would do the job very well, but it might be worth double checking (if necessary) in your handbook that 5w/30 is indeed the correct grade for your car and its mileage. 

I notice Trevor mentions Mobil 1 as an alternative, and perhaps it might be helpful to know that the 5w/30 grade of Mobil 3000 fully synthetic (superior or not to Mobil 1?) is always available at Wilkinsons for only £24 for 5 litres. 

As I understand it, VAG were /are recommending Quantum oil ( some say it's rebranded Castrol but I'm not sure). This is available as a "standard" fully synthetic or a Longlife variant - which one would guess should be better.

Two things I would add Dave is to be equally enquiring about the quality of the filter used. In my book use genuine Vag - at discount, or if not, only a quality German make such as Mann. Beware of brand names we used to love and respect which may no longer be what you would hope.

Second thing:- Kwik Fit and using your own oil? Do they do this, as opposed to using whatever bulk purchased oil they stock by the 40 gallon drum? Same for local garage?? Not saying this is going to happen, but will you be convinced that your carefully chosen oil is going to end up in your sump. Doesn't sound very good that, but........  Final bit for this missive would be to ask if you are happy to have your current oil sucked out rather than drained out? Not sure how you are with some hands on with a spanner Dave, but very often DIY with no constraints on time may be a consideration, but only if you know your way around these things.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Guest slee1977

I would add that if you're going with non-Audi approved oil (Castrol EDGE Professional) make sure you get a 507 long-life grade (rather than 505) if your car has a DPF.