Warm start 'issue'

potatopotato

Hi all,

Our 1.9 TDi has a habit of taking a few more turns than usual when starting after being driven recently, so when warm. It does eventually fire but nearly takes the engine mount with it and makes a hell of a noise (IMO, probably being dramatic).

I had an old E34 BMW that wouldn't start at all from hot due to the heat melting a connection in the starter solenoid so I'm inclined to change the starter on the A3 and be done with it. However is this a problem anyone else has experienced and fixed a different way?

Mike.

It doesn't sound like the starter motor if its turning the engine over (at a constant speed) or even the battery. However, if its turning over at a slower speed then it could be the battery, starter or even wiring at fault.

Other areas to consider are fuel filter; loss of pressure within the filter head, immobiliser, etc

May be worth running a scan on it if you cannot find anything wrong with the battery or starter.

Keep us updated on this one

Cheers  Trevor

Hello Michael,

I too would be tending to discount the battery and indeed the starter motor since you say it appears to start OK from cold when there would be a far greater load on these components.

Of course, it's always difficult to diagnose these problems, but it could (just could) be an injector/s at fault and perhaps giving you symptoms of "misfire". As I understand it, even one faulty injector can have a significant influence on how it starts and runs. Not sure if this would show up on the diagnostics, but failing that it would be a question of having a leak- back test on them, and if any issues, taking them out and having them checked - not too expensive to have them checked.

Good luck with sorting it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1