2006 Q7 3.0TDI fuel economy?

MrSweet1991

Hi All,

Finally got my Q7 turbo reconditioned and manifold welded so ive had a chance to drive the car. What has really shocked me however is my fuel economy, i put in £30 of V-Power and that added 100 miles on the trip screen. I managed to cycle through the trip screens and can see that im getting 17.0MPG.. im driving very sensibly around town 30-40MPH average so i just wanted to know if this is normal? 

Thanks all.

Hi MrSweet

Was you Driving the car around with a duff turbo before? also it has been cold out, do you use it on long journeys at all or just around the town? this will definitely affect the MPG.

Kind regards

Bradley

• Like 1

Hi Brad, 

Thanks for your response, yes the car was being driven with a duff turbo and a hole in the one side of the manifold and one bolt snapped from the other side of the manifold. I was told who ever had this car before just didn't care about it, im actually skeptical about its service as well as it appears to have been done by the guys who had it before the guy who sold it to me. 

The cars mpg just doesnt seem to add up, right now im in the car and it says i have 125 miles, ill drive the car with light acceleration back home and report what miles it states then, i can almost gaurantee my 3 mile trip home will knock 10 miles off regardless of my driving style. 

At the moment its 90% short town journeys (3 to 11 miles approx each trip) 

Cheers.

MPG can take a while to go back up from being low i notice, (I have a A4 B5) but if you're feeling skepticle then have a interim service and also ask them what they say, also as a test take it on a long journey and see if the MPG changes at all.

I drove with a duff turbo and my MPG went up but when I got it fixed it went down to 40.7 from 42.1 which it is a stead 40.7 even with me putting my foot down and short journeys during the week (I understand it's a different car)

How long have you had it and driven it for? you could use this thread as a tracking thread?

Also is there any smoke coming out the back? maybe have the car have its fault codes read to be 100% safe and sure.

3 minutes ago, Brad-B5 said:

MPG can take a while to go back up from being low i notice, (I have a A4 B5) but if you're feeling skepticle then have a interim service and also ask them what they say, also as a test take it on a long journey and see if the MPG changes at all.

I drove with a duff turbo and my MPG went up but when I got it fixed it went down to 40.7 from 42.1 which it is a stead 40.7 even with me putting my foot down and short journeys during the week (I understand it's a different car)

How long have you had it and driven it for? you could use this thread as a tracking thread?

Also is there any smoke coming out the back? maybe have the car have its fault codes read to be 100% safe and sure.

Hi brad, 

Thanks again for the reply, well i purchased the car on the 18th December and my dad drove the car back from Manchester. I purchased the car knowing there was a probable faulty turbo which turned out to be turbo and both sides of the manifold. Once back home i booked it in the Best Turbos in Oldbury (West Midlands) i only received the car back around a week ago and had it insured for the last 3 days so i cant really do any before and after the duff turbo comparisons. 

The car has no smoke problems, it pulls great when you put your foot down and when i first purchased the car i plugged in a cheap Amazon OBD reader and it said no faults.. that said i actually have two warnings on my dash saying theres an issue with the back lights (all of the lights work fine) so im skeptical if that OBD was reading it properly anyway now... 

Because of how depressing the MPG trip display was i disabled it as the best i could get was 17MPG, after replying to you i re-enables it and its now showing better results (22.9mpg) im wondering if after the turbo and service they did its breaking in so to speak? 

The cars booked in for a free health check on the 24th at Audi halesowen, hopefully they will notice something wrong because this cars costing me £60 for 4 days worth of driving so far :O my little ford focus by now would have needed £20 tops 

Hi MrSweets

The Scanners from amazon (cheap ones) i believe are more for getting the lights on the dash to go? I haven't had one but i hear people complaing about them and so on, but I found when i got my turbo in my MPG was bad because they was alot of power and needed to get used to it which it has gone up from when I had it done. 

7 minutes ago, MrSweet1991 said:

trip display was i disabled it as the best i could get was 17MPG, after replying to you i re-enables it and its now showing better results (22.9mpg) i

don't forget that was a short journey and a "average" so through out time it will even out, see how it goes but best of luck with them checking it mate. keep us updated, any more questions please don't hesitate to ask :D 

Hi MrSweet

The MPG does seem low for a Q7, however as Brad stated earlier, I think it will average out a little higher once everything has settled down.

I recently put a DTUK Tuning Box on my Honda CRV CDTi and that improved the MPG by at least 10-12% which should pay for the cost of the box in no time at all.

Here is a link to the review I wrote for it  http://www.audiownersclub.com/news/reviews/club-reviews/product-reviews/electronic-engine-tuning-guide/

I think, in general anything you do to improve the efficiency of the engine (oil change, replacing filters, etc) will improved MPG

Cheers  Trevor

On 16/01/2017 at 10:02 AM, Brad-B5 said:

Hi all, 

So i've done enough testing, £30 of Shell V-Power, as light as possible on acceleration and no heated seats and ive peaked at 86.1 miles which has put me back to 35 miles remaining on the trip display which is the same place i always refil at.

So whats your thoughts? To put into perspective this car could probably take £90 to fill the tank which taking my peak of 86.1 miles per £30 would return  258.3 miles for a tank :/ 

My dad just went to wales (250 miles) for £20 granted you cant compare because of the weight and size of the engine but is this the best it can achieve? 

• Like 1

Both of my Q7's averaged between 14-18 mpg driving around where I live which is very hilly but on the motorway will average 30+. The best way to check the real mpg is to fill the car up drive 50 or 60 miles driving how you normally would then fill the car back up and work out what it's doing

• Like 1